3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tips on parking and driving a long bed, quad cab

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 03:02 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tips on parking and driving a long bed, quad cab

I always park way out in the lot -- aggravates the hell outa my wife and daughter. Parking is not the issue: I want to minimize the possiblity of some dumba$$ mouth-breather whacking my baby. I do the same with my 300C. I, too, find backing in easier at work. I used to have an '88 Chevy 1500 Ext. cab longbed. Used to have to parallel park that one downtown often.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:46 PM
vinman966
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do have a QCLB and I always look for a pullthrough space unless I'm going to be loading something in the bed. Parking lots ARE really made to fit as many small cars as possible. Kinda hard to pull a land yaght into one of those slim/short spaces. I usually end up walking.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1
ORIGINAL: MikeHTally

I always park way out in the lot -- aggravates the hell outa my wife and daughter. Parking is not the issue: I want to minimize the possiblity of some dumba$$ mouth-breather whacking my baby. I do the same with my 300C. I, too, find backing in easier at work. I used to have an '88 Chevy 1500 Ext. cab longbed. Used to have to parallel park that one downtown often.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Zack1978
Professional

What about parking garages, are they usually out? Also is it generally annoying to drive such a large truck on a daily basis?

Thanks,
Zack

Old 01-12-2008, 05:37 PM
kenny c

I back in. It's so much easier. I have to pakr in the back of my townhome and it has an alley. If I try to drive straight in, I have to make about 10 turns. Backing in, I can do it in 2 - back at angle, pull forward a little, back up and done.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:51 PM
smokinjoe
Rookie

i have SB QC and i always park way out in the middle of nowhere near a light, backwards, it's easier for me to swing the front end around with the large turning radius the truck has then try to nose her into somewhere. and i always put my wheels against the curb tp present the smallest profile possible to other vehicles, i don't worry about hitting the curb since i've got some decent ground clearance. as far parking garages, i try to avoid them if i can, no point in temtping fate to remove the sirius antennae

Old 01-12-2008, 07:43 PM
vinman966
Professional

ORIGINAL: Zack1978

What about parking garages, are they usually out? Also is it generally annoying to drive such a large truck on a daily basis?

Thanks,
Zack
I park in parking garages all the time...Just plan on parking on the roof or in a corner if possible to keep from hanging too far out. I can usually find a parallel parking space too.
If you're really worried about it being a good every day driver, I'm sure the dealer would let you have it for the weekend to make a deal.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:45 PM
mikebol
Veteran

If the parking garage has slanted spots, you're usually safe to pull in. But if they are straight spots, I look for one that is against a wall so I can back in and bump the wall, not another car.

As others have said, backing in is so much easier if you know when to stop. But there are times I'll get out and check if I'm backing in opposite of a really nice car. Just play it safe and you'll be fine.

Mike

Old 01-13-2008, 09:06 PM
whiteonrice
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drove a Ford F-250 SD long bed for the past 9 years so I don't even have to think about my new Ram QC long bed. You get used to it although it is annoying at times. I do think the ride of the long beds is really nice because of the long wheelbase.

RIck

Old 01-14-2008, 01:58 AM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

best practice is to find an empty parking lot some time and practice to your heart's content. church parking lots are great, because they're empty most weeknights. set up some cones if you can. simple rule of driving: "Know Thy Wheelbase." Both friends and family that have driven with me have been suprised at the turns I can make in my truck, and it's because I went out one saturday, found me an empty lot, and practiced. Since then, I haven't had any trouble using my Ram as a daily driver.

Quick Reply: Tips on parking and driving a long bed, quad cab