3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Straight pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:36 PM
bobbyjoe101
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Straight pipes

So this is my first day on the forum

and i love it

but i got a question

so i got bored today

and i took off my tail pipe and my muffler

left the cats on and everything

and it sounds good. really good(seriously im not a kid who just likes loud rice burner sounds it sounds like a little v8 at rpms up to 3.4 then it gets bad. but it sounds good)

is this going to screw up my motor?

and how bad if any is my gas mileage going to be

Old 01-16-2008, 10:47 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Straight pipes

no back force i think its called so you may back fire.

But I found this in another v6 topic of the charger

To get the least amount of backpressure, most of the good, high-performance mufflers available today have what is called a straight-through design. These mufflers quiet the exhaust by absorbing high-frequency vibrations in heat-resistant packing, usually consisting of stainless-steel mesh and heat-resistant ceramic fibers.
When buying a straight-through muffler, look for one with a perforated core if you are interested in producing more power. A good, properly sized, perforated-core straight-through muffler will add only about 1 to 2 psi of backpressure to your exhaust system. Mufflers like the Walker Ultra Flow, Thermal, A'pexi, Borla, Edelbrock or MagnaFlow are examples of good, low-backpressure mufflers with an absorption design. Many Pre-made exhausts like A'pexi, Tanabe, Greddy, Borla, MagnaFlow, Thermal or HKS also have mufflers of the free-flowing absorption design. A disadvantage to the straight-through muffler is that it is often louder than a reverse-flow muffler. Some stock mufflers and exhaust systems have up to 18psi of choking, power-robbing backpressure. In direct contrast, a well-designed, high-performance street exhaust system typically has about 2 to 6 psi of backpressure.

For an interesting comparison, an un-muffled straight pipe on a real racecar usually has 1 to 3 psi of backpressure. They typically have an inner core that is straight-through with no baffling at all, much like a straight pipe with many small holes in it. The pipe is louvered or perforated when it passes inside the muffler's shell, allowing sound energy to pass through the holes but leaving the exhaust gas flow unimpeded. You can see straight through these types of mufflers. The louvered or perforated core is usually wrapped with either fiberglass wadding (hence the old-school term, Glass Pack) or, in the better mufflers, stainless-steel mesh backed by ceramic fiber to help further absorb the sound.

On straight-through mufflers, the longer the muffler and the bigger the can, the quieter it is. The length usually has no effect on backpressure, just noise output. These absorption type mufflers work in the same manner as the silencers used on guns. If a silencer had baffles that impeded bullet travel, you would definitely have problems! The same is for a perforated core absorption muffler, straight through, no baffles, no restriction, and no backpressureThat might give you some insight on mufflers too. It did for me.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:15 AM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

won't mess up anything. lol.

that's pretty cool though...just ripping it all off.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:33 AM
Wishbone
Record Breaker

Straight pipe if fine for a diesel but probably not so good for a gasser. It could lead to valve seals going bad.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:18 AM
bobbyjoe101

Thnks Guys

so i think i am going to put a flow threw on there just cause i am scared of the valve seals and i know i need backpressure i just didnt know how much

Old 01-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Big#44
Professional

The thing is, is that headers and pipes are already pretty restrictive. plus you have the two cats up there, so im sure that would provide some back pressure. ive taken my muffler and heard it, idk how you could drive around with that all the time!!

Old 01-20-2008, 02:46 PM
bobbyjoe101

so im putting them back on because i am afraid of the vavles worping

lol yeah i think i am just going to get like a flow threw cherry bomb

Old 01-20-2008, 02:49 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

You are not going to hurt anything by just taking your muffler off. As indicated before, your MANIFOLDS (they are not called headers), your stock y-pipe and stock cats serve as a good enough protection. You would be fine without those cats too, nothing bad could ever happen. The only bad part about straight pipes is the sound. Get a nice flowmaster muffler, it will be loud still and have a really neat tone. Straight pipes just sound ratty and a little too blatty..

Old 01-21-2008, 04:53 PM
bobbyjoe101

really?

so hmm

i might take them back off

how bad do you think that it hurts my mpg?

Quick Reply: Straight pipes