3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Magna Flow Exhaust Sound Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 05:37 PM
nhglyn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magna Flow Exhaust Sound Problem

OK, so I installed a Magna Flow exhaust system (16699) on my 08 Ram QC with 5.7 Hemi.

I am disappointed in the level of sound in the cab, way more than I anticipated. Nice sound at highway speed or when just cruising but from a start and under load it is way too loud. Not sure I can keep this on or not.

When I was doing my research on this I chose Magna Flow because, supposedly, it was not as loud as many of the others.

1. Should I be hearing this loud a noise in the cab from this exhaust? I like the sound (rumble/growl etc) but the level is way too much!
2. Is there anything that can be done to "tone this down" a little? Anything I can add to the system? Change something?

I called Magna Flow but they offered no suggestions. If need be I will have to put the stock system back on and resell the Magna Flow but, before I do that, I was hoping someone here would have an idea.

Thanks for any suggestions on what to do here.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:43 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Magna Flow Exhaust Sound Problem

Mine sounds pretty rowdy inside when I'm leanin' on it, but otherwise it's nice and mellow. I do think I'm going to put some sound-deadening mat across the back of the cab, to reduce the road noise and a bit of the Magnaflows. They do tend to hinder conversation when under throttle. You could try the sound-damping as well. It isn't terribly expensive and from what I've read, it works pretty well.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:09 PM
nhglyn

I think installing sound dampening throughout the cab is out so I am left with two possibilities:

1. Install something to lessen sound
or
2. Put stock muffler and exhaust back in

What is a resonator and what does it do?

Old 02-01-2008, 06:26 PM
The Peddler
Record Breaker

When you start, and get on it, you are going to here it. You should know that!

Old 02-01-2008, 06:34 PM
nhglyn

The Peddler

I'm not even getting on it. Just a light pressure on the gas pedal and the noise gets loud. And, I am new to all of this stuff (as you can tell by my post count) and so I need to ask a lot of questions and I appreciate all the help you guys can offer. Thanks.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:49 PM
The Peddler
Record Breaker

I have the same thing on my truck, and yes you are going to here it when you give it gas, but it is not near as loud as others. It is the kind of sound that people look and say: that is a nice sounding truck, not: my god did you here that.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:54 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: nhglyn

I think installing sound dampening throughout the cab is out so I am left with two possibilities:

or

A resonator is one part in your exhaust system that works with the muffler to reduce noise, by making sound waves "cancel each other out". Not sure how many were in your 08, I've seen Dodge trucks have one or two. Did you remove the resonator(s) when you did the cat back system? If so, you may find that putting the resonator(s) back in-line may give you the effect you desire...

Old 02-01-2008, 06:59 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

or

Did you install the magnaflow yourself and is it just the muffler or did you get the whole catback system?

My 07 has a resonator before the muffler and one by the tail pipe(they look like small mufflers)...i've read that some years only have the one by the tailpipe. Resonators basically cancel out certain frequencies of the exhaust, which will make it sound different and usually quieter. WhenI removed the rear one the exhaust did get louder.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler4.htm

Old 02-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Kooda
Rookie

I installed a Borla cat back exhaust on my 06 Hemi and I couldn't be more happy with it. I have heard too many people complain about the Magnaflow. I know some people are happy with it and that's fine, but I don't hear anyone with a Borla or a Corsa exhaust complaining.

Borla makes a cat back system designed for the Hemi with MDS and that's why I went with it.

Might want to try them, if you sell the Magnaflow.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:04 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

or

A resonator is one part in your exhaust system that works with the muffler to reduce noise, by making sound waves "cancel each other out". Not sure how many were in your 08, I've seen Dodge trucks have one or two. Did you remove the resonator(s) when you did the cat back system? If so, you may find that putting the resonator(s) back in-line may give you the effect you desire...
Beat me to it

Quick Reply: Magna Flow Exhaust Sound Problem