3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

2005 Ram Front End Rattle/Clunking (AT LAST FIXED TODAY)

Old 04-24-2008, 10:06 PM
cableguy1224
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2005 Ram Front End Rattle/Clunking

ORIGINAL: buganddoug

cableguy1224Thank you!! I told my Dodge Dealership about this and printed out the hole thing. They read it alland they got Dodge to warranty out my Rack under warranty even know that my truck is out of warranty. Boy my Steering feels completely different and I mean completely different. I have heardNo Noise!
Hey man, you are more than welcome. That is very cool they replaced the R&P for you. You are correct, it feels and drives way different. So you printed this entire thread huh? LOL

Its been a few weeks now and Im more happy driving it now then before the made that nasty noise

Old 04-24-2008, 10:33 PM
buganddoug
Professional

I think by printing this entire thread help me out a lot.
They could fallow what we been checking and trying to do to find and fix this noise.
They where very surprise to see how many 2005 had this problem.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:05 PM
cableguy1224
Veteran

Yeah that is VERY cool, how far it your truck out of warranty?

Old 04-25-2008, 07:03 AM
buganddoug
Professional

My warranty ran out on March 18 of this year.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:19 PM
mackie

Mine is an 04 QCSB 2wd and I have had this truck into the shop so many times and its the exact story as everyone else. I wonder if Dodge is keeping the recall hush hush but will fix it without creating a nationwide recall. I would LOVE to drive the truck without wincing everytime I hear the clunk. Thanks for being the guy that broke the camels back so to put Chrysler on guard for a collection of angry Dodge Truck owners!! I will let you know what the Chrysler dealership says up here in Canada.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:43 AM
SQram

Has anyone else experience similar "clunking" noises in the front end of their 05 trucks? I have an 05 3500 CTD and am experiencing the same problems, I'm curious how common this problem was for these trucks. I too have had my truck in the dealership many times with no luck fixing the problem, they've replaced the sway bar, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, shocks with no success. Going to try the rack idea as previously suggested.

Other than that, it's been a great truck, this is the only issue I have had in 6 years and 65K miles!

Old 03-30-2010, 11:50 AM
pajamiss

i had the same problem(2003) and replaced the links and all bushings then it came back,,,so i removed the swaybar and links and it went a way..so the links are faulty ,,another problem from trw.this is what seems to be my problem..oz

Last edited by pajamiss; 03-30-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:42 AM
mackie

I am getting no help from the dealer where this truck is from when purchased new in 2004. I have told him about this forum post and what the Corporate guys did and what was replaced. The service manager said "Thats the States for you, there is nothing that we can do for you here in Canada." I said I couldnt understand how this could happen to so many trucks and why this is not a recall. They said it cant be a recall because no one has died or been severely injured to due the faulty mechanical parts. He said worse case scenario is that it will get really noisy and chatter really bad but nothing will break causing bodily harm. I think the Dealers have been warned to play hardball with owners like us with no warranty so to alleviate the bottom line.

bastards.. they are lucky that I love this truck too much to get something else.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:03 PM
savwafair
Default 02 RAM Clunking TOO

I have the exact same issue with my 2002 Ram 1500 4X4. Those small bumps and wash board bumps. It is so anoying. Tried everything to fix it. Will look into the rack but way too much for me to fix.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Alarm doc

I have had combination of the bump under Right front and then progressed into the "death wobble" (SCARY) on my 2003 2500 4x. Thus far shocks, steering stabilizer, ball joints (all uppers n lowers), tie rods (all) , all bushings ( I mean all of'em even the real pain in the a$$ to get swapped out, drag links.
Still had the wobble and bump. Replaced hub bearings and breaks ( not calipers) I have done this myself but had to get dealership to align each time.
After $2k plus still same issues. I installed aftermarket steering stabilizer that uses the bearing that extends the pittman arm bolt and attaches to the frame, another$200
Still have the bump butt NO death wobble " can I get an Amen"
I beleive the frame at the steering box gets fatigue. I did not replace the sector and I saw no wear in the spindle the Pittman arm attaches to.
I have read other suggestions on the bump as far as the body goes (hood,bumper,fender) that attack will begin this evening.
I know it sounds odd bout the frame fatigue butt we like to rebuild muscle cars, we have found that in order to align the front ends on cars that had the big blocks we need to install offset bushings on the upper a frames and that on the cars with steering sectors behind the crossmember (eg 73 nova) as opposed to (eg 79 TA) that have the sector in front of the crossmember "like our dodges" there IS a
Difference in the steering slop
I hope this help everyone since Dodge refuses to acknowledge the problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Ram Front End Rattle/Clunking (AT LAST FIXED TODAY)