3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Infinity sound system...do they all suck or just mine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008 | 08:43 PM
caliboy@heart
|
Veteran
Default RE: Infinity sound system...do they all suck or just mine?

so from everything that has been stated here, the infinity system sucks royaly and there is no way to make it sound a lot better other then bypassing the factory amp and spending too much cash!! Is this right?

Old 02-09-2008 | 08:49 PM
KC9JVC
Rookie

I personally love my Factory Infinity system...with one minor exception. The center speaker in the dash is blown, but I knew that when I bought the truck (now to figure out how to fix it.) Other than that, I think it sounds great.

Old 02-09-2008 | 08:57 PM
caliboy@heart
|
Veteran

ORIGINAL: KC9JVC

I personally love my Factory Infinity system...with one minor exception. The center speaker in the dash is blown, but I knew that when I bought the truck (now to figure out how to fix it.) Other than that, I think it sounds great.
i must just have a crap system......my luck someone stole the speakers and put some crap ones in before i bought it.....just kidding. really, i think mine is just crap! is there anyone in the dc area that i can meet up with to see if its just mine or all of em?

Old 02-09-2008 | 09:09 PM
manualagain
Professional

I can't say I'm overwhelmingly impressed with my Infinity system, but I wouldn't say it sucks either. Then again I don't usually listen to music with a lot of base, more singer song writer stuff, if I was really looking for, or expecting a lot of base from the Infinity system the yeah I imagine I'd be disapointed. In addition I do think the system does distort with moderately high volumes, there again I don't typically push the envelope. I guess it depends on your expectations and uses. I'm happy with it, not knocked out by it.

Old 02-09-2008 | 09:43 PM
SmittyRN
Professional

It's a good system, IMO. Not a great one, but what do you expect when you have a factory system? It sounds good, rattles some with heavy bass, needs a much better readout. I just think back 20 years ago, when the factory systems really DID suck.

If it were up to me, I'd buy the truck without a system in it, take the savings to buy a top end system, but you can't do that. My first buy is going to be a Kenwood DNX7100 to replace my stock unit. Not because I'm not happy with it, but because I want a good GPS and a backup camera, and don't want to have all sorts of displays stuck to the dash. I've got a good Alpine amp sitting around, so I'll go ahead and wire everything up when I install it. Later on I'll upgrade the speakers. If I wasn't dealing with getting a GPS, I'd probably leave the stock unit in and add Ipod integration to it.

Old 02-10-2008 | 12:47 AM
caliboy@heart
|
Veteran

ORIGINAL: SmittyRN

It's a good system, IMO. Not a great one, but what do you expect when you have a factory system? It sounds good, rattles some with heavy bass, needs a much better readout. I just think back 20 years ago, when the factory systems really DID suck.
this is not always true. as i said before, i have a VW with a regular sound system and it kicks better then any stock system i have ever heard. it really sounds great. i guess i just have to get used to the fact that the stock infinity system is the SUCK! as i said before, is there anyone in the DC area that i can meet up with to see if mine is any worse?

Old 02-10-2008 | 07:08 AM
5point7 hemi
Professional

When I first got my 04, my Infinity sounded terrible. Then I read about some kind of TSB or something that said they factory made a mistake with the wiring. The fix was to swap a couple of pins around on the connector of the head unit. After reading it, I fixed it myself and it made a world of difference.

I'm going to try to find the post about it.

Old 02-10-2008 | 07:37 AM
5point7 hemi
Professional

OK, here is the post from another truck site. Good luck finding the tsb link, I couldn't.

It it worth looking into.
http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines....4_infinity_tsb

EDIT: I found the tsb here:

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2004/08-011-04.htm

Old 02-10-2008 | 10:42 AM
caliboy@heart
|
Veteran

ORIGINAL: 5point7 hemi

OK, here is the post from another truck site. Good luck finding the tsb link, I couldn't.

It it worth looking into.
http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines....4_infinity_tsb

EDIT: I found the tsb here:

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2004/08-011-04.htm

DUDE, DUDE!!!! Thank you so much! I'm gonna try this. do you think its a warrenty thing still that the dealer can fix? i know that tsb should always be repaired no matter if the vehicle is under warrenty or not....but i just thought i would ask. if they wont fix it for me, how hard is it to take out the head unit and fix this?

Old 02-10-2008 | 10:13 PM
kenihemi
All Star

I did it myself, its not hard.

Remove the screw by the bag hook and pull the center bezel off.

4 screws hold the head unit in, remove the connectors to the head unit, carefull of the antenna wire. You have to pull out the lock first, it was blue if I remember right.

Follow the TSB for the pin numbers and wire colors. I just cut the wires, reversed them, soldered them back and shrink wrapped them. There is not much wire to work with so it could be easier to cut the wires, put 2" wires on each one and then reverse them and connect them.

Made a world of a difference.

Quick Reply: Infinity sound system...do they all suck or just mine?