3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ping noise from exhaust, ANYONE ELSE?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 10:50 PM
jfotsch
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ricmar350
I realize this is a very old thread, but my 04 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi has recently started this loud intermittent ping which seems to come from somewhere near the mid to front exhaust area. It will do it within 30 seconds of start up even after sitting all night. Doesn't matter if it's idling or going down the road. Continues quite a while after it's shut off. It's definitely not normal exhaust cool down noises. I've owned it 5 years. It's had Magnaflow exhaust the whole time. Has anyone ever figured this out? I've been reading possible front resonator or catalytic converter, but I've also read neither of these will fix the problem. Thanks in advance.

I was noticing this thread and thought it was more recent. But I have an 04 Ram with an all stock exhaust except Magnaflow Y-pipe. I have had the truck since 05. It was making that pinging on me a few years back and for some reason it just stopped. At the time it was driving me crazy. I do not have any answers for you. I am guessing it may have something to do with stainless steel and ambient temps? I have had a lot of rigs over the years and this truck did make some really loud pings.
Hope you figure it out or maybe it will do like mine did and just stop doing it.(Not totally but it did quieten down to a normal or acceptable sound.
I had forgotten about it until reading your post.
I would say it did it from around 70k-80k on the clock

Old 11-01-2016, 02:10 PM
ricmar350
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust ping continued

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to comment. My truck has around 107,000 miles. Maybe this is just a normal noise for the stainless pipes after all. It's going in the shop tomorrow for an unrelated issue, but I'm having them put it up on the rack just to see if they can pinpoint the noise. The other day when I stopped in to make an appointment, the mechanic was standing beside the truck talking to me, (truck not running but still warm) and it gave a couple nice loud pings from somewhere near the transfer case. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Ping noise from exhaust, ANYONE ELSE?