3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ping noise from exhaust, ANYONE ELSE?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 06:15 PM
johnymauris
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ping noise from exhaust, ANYONE ELSE?

Copied this from another post here on the Dodge Forum. Sounds like exactly what I'm experiencing on my 2006 Hemi Ram 1500. Severe pop, click or ping noise from exhaust during cooldown. Noise is above normal cooldown ticking noises heard on other exhaust systems. Source of the noise is the slip joint at the resonator outlet. The cause is the joint building too tight at the supplier and not allowing the internal resonator tube to slide within the joint. The muffler/resonator assembly should be replaced.

About a year abo I had the muffler and rear resonator removed and a cat back system installed magnaflow, the guy told me if it's not loud enough for me that I could bring it back and he could remove the front resonator. I just might do that now if the resonator is the source of my PING. Thats exactly where it sounds like it's coming from. On the driver's side in the area of the resonator. Does it when the engine is running and when you shutoff the engine, even when your driving you can hear it when you stop at a red light.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:28 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Ping noise from exhaust, ANYONE ELSE?

That is very normal.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:10 AM
johnymauris

I've owned a bunch to automobiles over the past 40 years, the noise I'm talking about is not normal.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:28 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Replace the front resonator then....the exhaust shop shouldn't charge you more then $30 to do it.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:31 PM
Lindys

I have a gibson supersport stainless exhaust on my truck and it's only a few months old and my gibson pings pretty loud on cool down I think this sounds is normal just part of the cool down

Old 02-12-2008, 02:23 AM
johnymauris

Mine starts this exhaust ping shortly after I start it up. So it's not just on cooldown, it's all the time. It's almost got to be the front resonator. I'm going to have the muffler shop cut it out and replace with strait pipe for that section. I drove it for a good 12 months after the magnaflow was installed and never notice this loud ping till just a few months ago.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:08 PM
devilfish
Default I have the same ping noise

06 hemi, same ping noise. dealer replaced cats and y pipe under warrenty, that wasnt it. took the front resonator off, that wasnt it. Just wondering if you came up with anything different? one dodge mech said it was just something they did. BULL!!! very annoying!

Old 12-19-2009, 01:44 AM
seank
Default Hemi exhust ping

I have also coppied this post hoping someone can help. Im having the same issue on an 06 Hemi Durango. If any has encountered this I would appreciate any information

Thanks

Copied this from another post here on the Dodge Forum. Sounds like exactly what I'm experiencing on my 2006 Hemi Ram 1500. Severe pop, click or ping noise from exhaust during cooldown. Noise is above normal cooldown ticking noises heard on other exhaust systems. Source of the noise is the slip joint at the resonator outlet. The cause is the joint building too tight at the supplier and not allowing the internal resonator tube to slide within the joint. The muffler/resonator assembly should be replaced.

About a year abo I had the muffler and rear resonator removed and a cat back system installed magnaflow, the guy told me if it's not loud enough for me that I could bring it back and he could remove the front resonator. I just might do that now if the resonator is the source of my PING. Thats exactly where it sounds like it's coming from. On the driver's side in the area of the resonator. Does it when the engine is running and when you shutoff the engine, even when your driving you can hear it when you stop at a red light.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:03 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My Ram doesn't do it, but my 07 Grand Caravan does. It only does it after shutdown as the exhaust is cooling.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:41 AM
ricmar350
Default exhaust ping

I realize this is a very old thread, but my 04 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi has recently started this loud intermittent ping which seems to come from somewhere near the mid to front exhaust area. It will do it within 30 seconds of start up even after sitting all night. Doesn't matter if it's idling or going down the road. Continues quite a while after it's shut off. It's definitely not normal exhaust cool down noises. I've owned it 5 years. It's had Magnaflow exhaust the whole time. Has anyone ever figured this out? I've been reading possible front resonator or catalytic converter, but I've also read neither of these will fix the problem. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ricmar350; 10-18-2016 at 11:36 AM. Reason: mis-type

Quick Reply: Ping noise from exhaust, ANYONE ELSE?