3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Has anyone removed the chrome cladding from there 20"s

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 08:46 AM
swaj38812
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone removed the chrome cladding from there 20"s

Just wonderin if ayone has removed the chrome cladding from there chrome 20s. I read some stuff in other forums but never really gota straight answer. Just wondering if I can remove them and they look like the polished wheels. I understand it will not be the same finish but do they look the sameand be something I can paint or powdercoat and still look the same as the stock wheels. I love what helopilot did and was wondering if I could take the plastic covers off and do something like that. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Hemiriden
Professional
Default RE: Has anyone removed the chrome cladding from there 20"s

I haven't done it personally, but i can give you some info that may help. The chrome wheels are steel rims. they will look like dull steel with the chrome removed. The pollished are aluminum allow. They are a different metal and FAR easier to polish and make look good.

This is only an opinion, as i've not seen the steel ones with the chrome removed...

hope this helps

Old 02-11-2008, 01:15 PM
nathan_e
Rookie

I beleive that it's just a plastic cover. Now, it might be chrome covered plastic, but it is plastic and I haven't looked close, but I don't think it would be too hard to take off.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:41 PM
JD1500
Record Breaker

yeah, i thought they just snapped off. on my old one i curb checked it and it just poppped off.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:46 PM
stunta666
Rookie

i just took my wheels off and there is no clip or anything to take off the cover, i've heard it is glued on and can't be removed in 1 piece. ****ty for us but smart for dodge because if you damaged that cover you'd have to buy a whole new wheel.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Hemiriden
Professional

ORIGINAL: stunta666

i just took my wheels off and there is no clip or anything to take off the cover, i've heard it is glued on and can't be removed in 1 piece. ****ty for us but smart for dodge because if you damaged that cover you'd have to buy a whole new wheel.
Yea, it is glued. I damaged 1 crome cover not even 2 weeks after i bought it bran new.... they said i couldn't replace just the cover, I had to buy the WHOLE wheel for 600... THAT IS THE RIM ONLY!!!! 2400 for a set of 4!!!! YOU CAN GET SOME NICE WHEELS FOR THAT!!! it is insaine....

But yes, it is glued on. Pulling it off would not be too hard. you may damage the plastic a little.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:46 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgettaboutit.

They are epoxied on. The labor alone is not worth it, and even if you did, you are left with a really ugly, dull, steel wheel.

Best bet is to try and trade them for somebody that has the aluminum one and is tired of polishing them.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:50 PM
toxdoc
Veteran

I certainly agree! Buy aftermarket wheels and tires; you are only limited by your imagination and funding.
There are many excellent combinations seen all over this forum with the pros and cons listed for most of the choices.
Save your sanity and don't bother with the fantasticplastic crapIMHO;I once had 20" chrome-clads too and ditched them ASAP for some real chrome 22's and have never looked back.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:04 AM
swaj38812

Well I have read somewhere on here that the wheels are the same aluminum under the chrome cladding just not polished like you would get from the dealer. Earlier someone posted in response to mine that they are steel under the chrome cladding. Brainstormed all day to try and figure out how to figure out who was correct and a buddy comes over and says just use a magnet steel it sticks aluminum it doesn't. Well went out and it does not stick so I am going to go with the rim under the chrome cladding is aluminum. So I think I am going to pull the plastic cladding and get the rims powder coated I will post some pics and let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the responses I appreciate the help and input.

Quick Reply: Has anyone removed the chrome cladding from there 20"s