3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ADVICE ON COLD AIR INTAKE

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 02:23 PM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ADVICE ON COLD AIR INTAKE

HemiDen, I would like to see what "Tests" you've been looking at, b/c there are many independent tests out on the internet that prove that paper filters are by far the worst at keeping dirt out of your engine. A well cleaned and oiled guaze filter (K&N) tend to catch around 30-35% more dirt particles, and still allow for more air to pass through...

CimCon. I read a lot about CAI's too before I purchased mine. I was having a hard time justifying an almost $300 expense, as I was planning on getting the True Flow XDI. I finally decdided against it and bought an eBay intake instead, one with a k&n filter. It does everything that the other aftermarkets do, however I don't hear a lot of the noises that everyone seems to be complaining about with the XDI's. I like mine, throttle response was improved, and the sound is oh so good at WOT.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:08 PM
XxSilentHawk99xX
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Trueflow XDI is a great intake as well...it uses a dry filter which keeps a lot of dirt out. The only irritation to some is when the engine is cold, the driver can easily hear the suction noise that the intake makes. But it mellows out once the engine is warm, and there is otherwise nearly no sound. Just a better throttle response, and it adds some nice color to the engine.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:08 PM
HemiDen
Rookie

BWhite,

Some of those tests' link's have already been posted by another user earlier in this thread.Other comparisons I have read hasbeen inoff-road and truckmagsin recent years, one of which I recalled a lab was used for measuring particles passed through each filter that was done somewhere in southern California. In addition, a dyno for measuring rear wheel horsepower differences was utilized in several of those comparos. a gain of 1 to 2 RWHP while passing more particles into the eng.

To be clear, I'm not here to tell you or anyone else what modifications you should or shouldn't do, I am just saying the tests I have read helped me arrive at the conclusion that an aftermarket CAI for me is not justified no matter how little or much the cost...

Another factor that hasn't been put to rest is that if a engine or related partfailedand the failure could be shown in part or whole that an aftermarket CAI contributed to the failure, the Manufacturer could void the warranty. Yes, they would have to show how it contributed, but why should I risk my warranty and a fight with the manufacturer on top of already seeing evidence that the benefits of a CAI are so minimal in performace to begin with??Again, it's a personal decision, and mine is to pass on an aftermarket CAI...

Old 02-15-2008, 09:55 PM
slideways
Rookie

I dont think you can really go wrong with any CAI... K&N has been proven to let more dirt into the engine.. but no one has ever really proven an engine failure because of it. I got an AEM on ebay for 250.. comes with the TB spacer which makes it a little more involved install but definetely made a smoother throttle response. One of the main things i noticed going from an old Jeep to the Ram was that if i barely touched the gas nothing happened and if i pushed it too hard it really launched. The intake smoothed off the takeoff quite a bit and when you rarely do open it up you can hear the engine pulling and throbbing alot more..even with my stock exhaust. It did NOT yield me any mpg gains yet..even after an ECU reset.. but i think i have another issue.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:24 PM
kingin

Aem Brute force but make sure you get the newly redesigned one (mounting bracket is in a different location). K&N is great too just a little noisey for me.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:45 PM
cimcon

Wow. I am new to this forum and already 100% impressed! Thank you all for your advice + help. Especially "HankL" and "Bwhite" you both provided an amazing amount of info that was very educational to myself and probably others.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:00 PM
JD1500
Record Breaker

also, if you have an exaust, an intake really does help, i dont give a crap what your research says.

I am thinking of ordering a truflow. i just want my airbags first...

Old 02-22-2008, 10:55 PM
JGOD

RAMHAMMER by HAMMER Automotive. Ive heard Hands Down!!! better than the rest. It does cost 369.99 tho. Im gonna get one myself. Said to be a night and day difference- google it

Old 02-23-2008, 06:38 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Australian view of modifying air intakes:

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_107824/article.html

Old 02-23-2008, 07:04 AM
SmittyRN
Professional

ORIGINAL: cimcon

Wow. I am new to this forum and already 100% impressed! Thank you all for your advice + help. Especially "HankL" and "Bwhite" you both provided an amazing amount of info that was very educational to myself and probably others.
HankL is definatly the King of the Google search..... but I have yet to see any evidence that he actualy owns a truck.

Quick Reply: ADVICE ON COLD AIR INTAKE