3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ADVICE ON COLD AIR INTAKE

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 06:11 AM
cimcon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ADVICE ON COLD AIR INTAKE

Okay, I got a plan. I borrowed an Airaid stage one intake (the heat shield and filter). This is not the airaid jr like you are probably thinking. It is basically a halfa$$'d CAI that uses the stock tubing. I will set my cruise control at 70 everyday to work and record the average milage. I will then remove it, place the stock one on, and record this milage for a week. I will use 89 octane from shell every time. Then, making sure to record the temperatures, I'll pick the two with the same temperature and compare. Hey, its a better test than nothing. Let me know what anyone thinks.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:44 PM
rcmarquez

I bought a Volant and it is easily the best I have ever owned on any vehicle. Awesome power and you could hear the suction!!

Old 02-24-2008, 07:54 PM
RJTDakotaBoy
Professional

I was told at my Dodge dealership that if I put on a CAI, even if it were a Mopar one, that in the event my motor fails they will not cover a new Hemi for my Ram... anyone else heard that?

Old 02-24-2008, 08:33 PM
HemiDen
Rookie

ORIGINAL: RJTDakotaBoy

I was told at my Dodge dealership that if I put on a CAI, even if it were a Mopar one, that in the event my motor fails they will not cover a new Hemi for my Ram... anyone else heard that?
I was told by my parts department that Mopar CAI's were no longer for Ram 2500's Hemi in my model year ('07) and later, and that if I used an aftermarket CAI and a failure could be contributed to the aftermarket CAI in part or whole, that my warrantly would likely be voided.

They did say that any mopar part when availablewould not voidthe warranty if used as instructed. Only aftermarket engine modification parts they said could void warrantys. They did not say why the Mopar CAI's were discontinued.

This info combined with the tests I have read which show minimal improvements in power and greater amounts of particles getting theough CAI's, is enough reason for me to keep the stock air intake in place. YMMV.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:52 PM
WhiteRamOH5
Rookie

all i have to say is i have a volant CIA on my 05 4.7 and i love it plain and simple

Old 02-24-2008, 08:54 PM
JD1500
Record Breaker

HankL jsut has too much time to google. and i have never seen him agree with anything...just keep that in mind. i have had him blocked for months.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:02 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Just an observation, since I now live in central Fl. (at least for the time being) I had the chance to go to Daytona on the week of the 500. I noticed that EVERY car that was on display at the track in the days before the race had some kind of a CAI in it. HMMMMMM...

Old 02-27-2008, 01:04 PM
cimcon

OKAY! here are the three day results

Monday- set cruise at 69mph at the "car pool only" sign. 26.8mpg on the way to work.
Tues - 24.9mpg set cruise at 69mph same spot
wednesday- 28.8!!!! O wow today was good, again same 69mph cruise.

note: There is an ever so slight down grade on the way to work.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a good source for your question, and most others: https://dodgeforum.com/m_1069155/tm.htm

Quick Reply: ADVICE ON COLD AIR INTAKE