3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ADVICE ON COLD AIR INTAKE

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 06:07 PM
cimcon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADVICE ON COLD AIR INTAKE

I own a 07' hemi and I am stuck on which cold air intake (CAI) to purchase. I have heard good and bad about all brands. I was thinking of doing a Mopar setup but I dont have enough information to buy one yet. I want all the power. Anyone have a CAI? Im probably one of the more analytical people here and also a college student (could use some cash). In other words, I read a LOT before I buy and always want the absolute most bang for my buck. Any help would be great, thanks

Old 02-13-2008, 06:11 PM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ADVICE ON COLD AIR INTAKE

Plenty of info here: https://dodgeforum.com/m_1069155/tm.htm the search function works well too.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:11 PM
motorider228
Champion

Hey man, I have a True Flow for sale. It's on my 06 but it will fit an 07 as well. It comes with a filter cleaning kit too. If you read through some threads you will see it is a very common intake on this forum. Private message me if you are interested, if not, good luck in your quest.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:45 AM
TheHemi05

i have a K&N CAI on my 05 hemi

it really woke it up
first upgrade actually

Old 02-14-2008, 01:34 AM
JayH2112
Veteran

Search! There are a ton of threads on this topic.

To get you started though....K&N and Truflow seem to be the most popular. I have a S&B on mine, it was the best price, really improved throttle response.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:44 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it is a very sound idea
to 'read a lot' before buying a CAI

these 3 links should be read over more than once:

{all about what filers really do as they are used}

http://home.stny.rr.com/jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

your Ram has an even larger and less restrictive air filter
than the smaller LX 300 factory air boxes tested here
...but notice that the CAIs don't even show a gain against smaller airboxes:

http://tinyurl.com/2j4gx3

a test on diesel Rams by 'honestly' testing a new paper filter against the claims of the aftermarket CAI...unlike the typical 'trick' of running the paper filter on dusty roads until it is highly resticted and then testing fresh new CAIs against it.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/g...ers/index.html

if you do 'a lot of reading' on the weblinks above
you will understand why
the Toyota 5.7 V8 does not have a CAI from the factory
even though it was designed to win a 'horsepower war'
against other truck engines like the 5.7 Hemi
and also why
the newly announced model year 2009 5.7 Hemi
has a long list of improvements & mods
...but still no CAI

Don't join the suckers...do mods that work....and spend money effectively

Old 02-14-2008, 09:11 AM
HemiDen
Rookie

I am convinced that the Factory air intake is just fine. It keeps the most dirt out of the engine, as shown in several of the partical capture tests, and the horsepower difference by 2+/- rwhp proves to me the aftermarket CAI's are not only a waste of money, but a rick to the engine as they showed they allowed more dirt into the engine than the factoryfilter. Thisdefeats any benefits of 2+/- rwhp.

Like one guy whoin the test who was once swayedby the hype of having a K&N, said: "I'll stick a Mopar Sticker on my Factory Air Intake and call it a day..."

Old 02-14-2008, 10:07 AM
FSUHEMI
Rookie

i def noticed a difference in power with my CAI and you cant deny the beautiful sound when you open it up. do your research and you'll find that the mopar intake is actually a AEM brute force (which is what i have) that has a mopar sticker on it. AEM, from what i've seen, seems to be the best bang for the buck and the most popular on the forums

Old 02-14-2008, 11:17 AM
HemiDen
Rookie

FS, I'm sure the sound is different, but after reviewing actual tests, I am not convinced the gain in HP is worth the dollar spent. The tests I've read show an average before & after DYNO RWHP of 2 +/-. While some may feel that is a worthy difference for the money spent, the real turn off for me of the aftermarket filters was the significantly higher measured particles that passed throught the aftermarket CAI's and into the engine.

I'm not faulting anyone who spends their own money on these aftermarket CAI's for a small HP gain and/or sound, but the actual testing has convinced me to stay with the stock air intake.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:09 PM
FSUHEMI
Rookie

i shouldve stated before that the CAI was the last of the upgrades i did. I aslo have full exhaust and 4.10 gears. Once you start upping the amount of horsepower your truck has, you'll notice more of a gain from the CAI than without any other upgrades

Quick Reply: ADVICE ON COLD AIR INTAKE