3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Warm it up, or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 05:49 PM
RamWood
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warm it up, or not?

Do you religiously let your truck warm up for at LEAST 10 min. before you drive it?

Why?

Why don't you care?

Do you think that letting the truck warm up is the WORST thing you could do for your truck?

I had a bit of a good conversation about this today at work and I thought I would ask on here?

Old 02-20-2008, 05:55 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Warm it up, or not?

in summer, i usually let it run for like 2 or 3 min. not because i sit there and let it warm up, but because i have a remote start...so, when i'm on the way out of house or even my bedroom, i start it. in winter, it stays on for like 10 min before i even get to car.

i think it's pretty necesarry to let the thing warm up. especially when you start it in the cold...it sounds like **** for a few seconds, and i'm not gonna go on ahead and drive with it like that...lol

Old 02-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

I do in the winter, and sometimes longer than 10 mins.
I don't in the summer, only long enough to get full oil pressure and long enough to get the seat belt on and get situated.

Reason for long winter warm-ups----single digit cold and ice on the wind shield, I try never to use ice scrapers as they will eventually scratch up the glass, plus I don't enjoy a cold ***, hands when I'm trying to drive in a single digits cold truck. Ya, its uses more gas, but I paid for it, and I'll use it any way I like.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:58 PM
RamItOne

really i havent noticed anything, i had an oilburner and well yeah got to let that sum bitch warm up. but for a gas, havent noticed it sounding strange or anything.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:18 PM
red06RAM
All Star

I always let it get to normal idle speed. In summer it doesn't take long but in winter I let it run anywhere from 2- 10mins depending on how cold it is.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:26 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Start it up, buckle the seatbelt, idle down the driveway and to the highway.Gentle on the throttle 'till the gauge is above "C". It warms up faster making it work.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Vandersnoot
Professional

Lately it has been in the low-mid 30's here in the morning (which isnt bad), but I still let my Ram warm up for 3-5 min (just enough so the RPM's drop and the needle comes off the peg.) My wife gives me hell about it....."youre wasting gas, if you want it to warm up just drive the thing."

I dont really know what the answer is, but it gives me a little piece of mind.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Hemichief
Veteran

Inthe summer I dont do anything since it is garaged and the winter the same. If I park outside (becasue I am a nice dad and my kids and wife park their stuff in the garage) then I let it warm up a little bit.

I am like Gone fishin... I dont like driving when it is cold so I just let my butt warmers kick in 2-3 minutes and then I baby the drive for about 2 miles ... normally that is enought to get all fluids moving.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Rampower
Rookie

[hr]I think its very important to let it warm up, well in the cold that is. I live in canada and its -16 celsius here tonight and my trucks not in a garage. I let it warm up for 10mins while i make lunch, I also plug the block heater in. You need to let that oil warm a bit and build pressure so those rings dont prematurely wear. Thats if you like your truck

Old 02-20-2008, 08:34 PM
HighDuke1911
Champion

i live in san diego.

Quick Reply: Warm it up, or not?