3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Buyers Remorse

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 08:36 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Buyers Remorse

Don't think for one minute if you'd have gotten a Toyota you'd be in better shape. One of the people I work with got the first 07 Tundra 4x4 on his local dealers lot. For the first eight months he had it, it was at the dealer more than he had it! First for a differential problem (which necessitated getting a whole new rear end) which had it at the dealer for almost a month waiting for backordered parts. Then for a recall on his CAM, which required an engine tear down. It's also been back twice because they "Gomer'ed" other things when they did the cam.
So remember my friend, sometimes the grass ain't always greener...

Old 02-23-2008, 10:24 PM
JonM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think I have buyer's remorse, but I can definitely say you get what you pay for with Dodge. As one poster pointed out, Dodge is giving these things away. The only thing they are best in class in is price. And the hemi engine, 16 spark plugs, what a disappointment. It's a gas hog with poor torque, hp and performance. Granted, in '09 they will be competing with Toyoyo in that area assuming it's still a 5.7, but they will always be playing follow the leaders, with low quality, lacking features, lower towing and payload capacities.
My '08 Ram is my second dodge owned, and they haven't gotten any better since my first one 20 years ago. But again, it was the price and I got what a paid for

Old 02-23-2008, 10:59 PM
2007 st
Rookie

I LOVE MY RAM, HAD A TOYOTA CAR FOR A WHILE, THEY ARE BUILT BETTER. I FIND THE "AMERICAN MADE" ARGUMENT FUNNY ANYMORE. UNTIL LAST YEAR "DODGE" WAS OWNED BY A GERMAN COMPANY, ALSO MANY RAMS PARTS ARE MADE IN MEXICO. EVEN MY 1987 CHEVY TRUCK WAS MADE IN CANADA. MY WIFES HONDA WAS MADE IN OHIO, MY TOYOTA CAR IN FREMONT CALIFORNIA. DO YOU KNOW CHRYSLER WAS-IS TRYING TO MAKE A DEAL WITH A CHINESE COMPANY TO MAKE A SMALL CAR? THOSE TOYOTAS AND HONDAS ARE JUST A MUCH USA AS THE BIG THREE, LIKE IT OR NOT..... I LOVE MY RAM.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:11 PM
6 hemi ram
Professional

sounds like a car

Old 02-23-2008, 11:54 PM
Hemiriden
Professional

ORIGINAL: JonM

I don't think I have buyer's remorse, but I can definitely say you get what you pay for with Dodge. As one poster pointed out, Dodge is giving these things away. The only thing they are best in class in is price. And the hemi engine, 16 spark plugs, what a disappointment. It's a gas hog with poor torque, hp and performance. Granted, in '09 they will be competing with Toyoyo in that area assuming it's still a 5.7, but they will always be playing follow the leaders, with low quality, lacking features, lower towing and payload capacities.
My '08 Ram is my second dodge owned, and they haven't gotten any better since my first one 20 years ago. But again, it was the price and I got what a paid for
I think your unfairly attacking the Engine..... The hemi has had 16 plugs since the muscle car era... the Hemispherical head gives extra room above the piston not there on a normal engine. This extra room hold extra fuel, the second plug that burns microseconds after the first ensures a complete burn. Name me 1 350 engine IN A TRUCK that gets GOOD gas mileage. Chevy's 350 gets equal or worse, the ford 5.4 is about the same. Honda's 5.6 sucks on gas, OH and my co-worker has the 4.7 Iforce tundra and it gets WORSE mileage then my HEMI... Can't even begin to image the horrible mileage the toyota 5.7 gets. As for power ratings.... 345, 375... those are some big numbers from a 345 engine. 1 HP per 1 point of displacement.... Yes dodge had to match the power ratings of the toyota, NOT because the current hemi couldn't keep up, but because the modern consumer is STUPID... all they see is toyota has bigger numbers..... it is not how much power you have, but how you get that power to the ground. but that is a WHOLE other arguement....

I love my Ram, I will probabily own Dodge my whole life...

Old 02-24-2008, 12:05 AM
CMA
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The real problem is the dealership network. If I can get the noises fixed then i would be happy. I was thinking about getting a laramie nav faceplate and leather seat covers which would make the inside look better.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:13 AM
jpeterson8

Here in CA we are allowed to test drive vehicles before we buy them. Everywhere you go you will have problems with the dealers. I had an 07 civic that I only had for 2 months before I took it to the dealer and they didn't want to fix it. And everyone says hondas are the best. Honda can.....well I won't go there. But that was my first and last honda I will ever own, and I am actually sueing them. Dodge is actually the only dealership that fixes intermintent problems. Even if they can't duplicate it they will fix it. They did it on my charger, and honda wouldn't give me the time of day on the civic.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:19 AM
BlueHemi
Veteran

ORIGINAL: cyclone429

Thiers not a dam thing wrong with the ridge line, Not very one want's a hemi, not every one wants a dodge ram, for a small v6 it can run with 4.7, and get twice the mpg.
I'm not sure how you figured "twice the mileage". Last time I checked , the 4.7 was rated at 13 city 19 hwy and the ridgeline v6was 15 city 20 hwy. Yes it's better mileage but it's not double!

Old 02-24-2008, 12:34 AM
topcop38
Professional

sorry but the chevys get better mileage than ford and dodge. i've had older 350s that got 14mpg in a 1979 4x4 with 3.73s. my dad had a 1990 2500 4x4 with a 350 he bought new and got 14. he had a 2001 4x4 x-cab with the 5.3 and got 16. he now has a 2005 2500 4x4 x-cab with a 6.0 that has twice the power as my 1500 4.7 and is slightly better on gas than mine but i would probably have to call them equal it is so close, but you're talking way more motor with way more weight.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:44 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: cyclone429

Thiers not a dam thing wrong with the ridge line, Not very one want's a hemi, not every one wants a dodge ram, for a small v6 it can run with 4.7, and get twice the mpg.

I do agree it's not a real truck, but it has a lot going for it.

Being loyal to any brand is fool hardy, when some has a issue with a Ram, don't jump and down and act all stupid, fact is no matter who builds it, they do not come off the asembly line 100%.

As a ex loyal Ford guy, I'm happy with my Ram.

And I used to think any one who problem's woith Fords was crazy, until it happened to me...
BS...it's rated at 15 city 20 highway. http://automobiles.honda.com/ridgeli...aspx?group=epa How is that double the mpg again? Oh that's right...people that don't know what they're talking about think it gets great mileage just because it's a 6.

Quick Reply: Buyers Remorse