3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Buyers Remorse

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 02:12 PM
CMA
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buyers Remorse

I bought an 07 Hemi QC only 7 months ago and I am having buyers remorse. After owning a new Honda and Mazda, the quality and Dodge service are poor in comparison.

Based on dealer trade in value, I have lost 8K in just 7 months IF I can get Edmunds trade in value.(Including the 1K I spent on lifetime warranty)Im sure KBB is even less.

The biggest problem is a noisy drivetrain. I have been to dealers 3 differnt times to get fixed and they do not want to help. The torque converter makes a whining noise at low RPMs, which may be a mechanical problem, or it may just be annoying -- either way it needs to be fixed. And the differnetial makes a ringing noise when cruising around 45 and around 60-65. POS and a bankrupt dealer network is unwilling to help.

I needed the bed space and the toyota is the only other truck with a long enough short bed. I should have spent a little more on the Toyota (now with rebates they are same price) because the interior materials of the RAM are the cheapest in class. They are cheap in comparison to my 2000my Mazda. I didnt think this would be much of an issue at the time, but after driving it for 7 months it has started to wear on me. It just feel so "low rent".

The only other problem is thetruck was designed for people with short legs and long arms. I am the opposite and I cant get a comfortable seating position without sitting bolt upright. Extending the steering shaft is illegal for dealers and mechanics to do and opens them up for liabilty so my idea to extend the steering shaft has been shot down.

The lack of quality and features coupled with an ignorant dealer network has really soured me on Dodge. And Ive already losttons of money in a short period of time. I would probably be happy if the driveline was quiet and the dealers responsive, but that is just not the case.

Please check out other brands before buying. They win in all categories with exception of looks.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:26 PM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Buyers Remorse

The extra $$$ for a Toyota doesn't get you a better quality truck, maybe a better interior, but the exterior parts are pretty cheap, Tailgate especially.

You are definantly entitled to your opinion, however it seems like to me just a case of a shady dealer. The dealership I bought mine prides themselves in "Return Business" and they take care of me and my truck. Hell it's been 5 months since I bought her and the dealership is still making a monthly call to check and make sure everything is running at 100%. I've taken my truck in twice for warranty work, a bad T-Stat, and a shaky driver's mirror, both were fixed in a minimal amount of time, and without any argument. Again, your problems sounds to be like a shifty dealership.

You should call Chrysler, go above the dealership, tell them exactly what's been going on, and what dealerships you've been to. I'd hate for Dodge to leave a sour taste in your mouth, as I think they're one of the best trucks on the road. Go corporate, and see if they can push some buttons and get you to a dealership who cares...

Old 02-23-2008, 03:08 PM
casper3380
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you would have gotten the toyota you would have to deal with cheap feel, tranny issues, motor issue, terrible mileage, a frame that is no where near as sturdy or solid, and an all in all pos. i use to sell toyotas, and the tundra 07 just aint the same. oh and with the 07, if you have an atv, expect to replace your tailgate a few times too. be happy with what you got. i agree with bwhite, soundsl like a bad dealer too, all brands have them.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:20 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I Took 6 months researching the dodge brand prior to factery ordering my 06 2500, I have been most impressed with my Ram, aside from the paint.

All that has gone wrong to date was my cruise control quit working. I'm six foot four, 240 lbs and I'm right at home in myReg cab.

I have horror stories from various dodge dealers in the calgary area who fail to do even the basic of maintance.

It's a given that when ever you buy new, you lose resale value, drive a new Tundra off the lot and trade it back the next day, it to will lose vaule.

I have learned it's best not to buy in a major urban area, dealer net works tend to gang up on the consumer but in a rual setting, a dealer and the employies have to live with the people buying thier servives.

Call dodge's 1800 number in the states and complain, they might be able to set you up with anothier dealer.
best of luck.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:23 PM
RamItOne

ORIGINAL: CMA

I bought an 07 Hemi QC only 7 months ago and I am having buyers remorse. After owning a new Honda and Mazda, the quality and Dodge service are poor in comparison.

Based on dealer trade in value, I have lost 8K in just 7 months IF I can get Edmunds trade in value.(Including the 1K I spent on lifetime warranty)Im sure KBB is even less.
Wait a second, are you saying that a brand new vehicle depreciates rapidly, esp once the next years models are out? Get out of here, thats just crazy talk.....

Well i guess you could get a mazda B series truck or the honda queerline.

I personally like my interior, have the lonestar package. The 09 looks bad ***.

also if im not mistaken the 07's came with the lifetime warranty, did this dealer charge you for something that comes with the vehicle, did they also charge you for the state mandatory full tank of gas???

Old 02-23-2008, 03:26 PM
John M
Record Breaker

It sounds like you didn't get the Laramie. If you had, you'd have no trouble adjusting the seat & pedals so your reach to the wheel would be exactly like you wanted. Perhaps the pedals can be added by the parts/service dept? I have no complaints about the quality in my 5-yr-old Ram. If anything, I'm happier every time I drive it.

Also, any new 2007 vehicle you bought 7 months ago would have lost a ton in depreciation. Toyota isn't immune to that anymore either. The only cars with "magic non-depreciation" are Hondas, and that's because of the legions of braindead zombies who buy them blindly because "they heard they're the best." After all, they do make a "truck" (heh heh heh) - the Ridgeline.

I've never had any problems with Dodge service. The dealership here has fixed what I requested -- when I don't wrench it myself. Several years ago, the corporate office bent over backwards to compensate me for issues with my old 94 Stealth twin turbo. That's one of the reasons I looked at a Ram when buying a truck.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:47 PM
CarolinaRam

Not everyone is ready for some dodge power! Sounds like you should check out the new ridgelines

Old 02-23-2008, 03:57 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

I feel where you're coming from....but I got a pretty good deal on my rig so I can't complain. IfI paid anywhere nearMSRP i'd feel ripped off also...but the way dodge is giving rams away I don't think anyone has paid even 10k with-in sticker.

You're also comparing your dodge truck to "import" cars which isn't very fair for your truck. As far as service goes...make sure you're going to a 5 star dealership. I haven't had any probs in the service department so far..

You can always keep making payments/double payments until you're not upside down on the loan...then trade her in and get a diff make.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:01 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

Thiers not a dam thing wrong with the ridge line, Not very one want's a hemi, not every one wants a dodge ram, for a small v6 it can run with 4.7, and get twice the mpg.

I do agree it's not a real truck, but it has a lot going for it.

Being loyal to any brand is fool hardy, when some has a issue with a Ram, don't jump and down and act all stupid, fact is no matter who builds it, they do not come off the asembly line 100%.

As a ex loyal Ford guy, I'm happy with my Ram.

And I used to think any one who problem's woith Fords was crazy, until it happened to me...

Old 02-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Rot Weiss Essen
Professional

WOW, I guess everyone has a different opinion about Dodge Ram trucks, if I was you I would definately try a different dealer, maybe like someone said in a rural area if you have had no luck where you live. I have had a 96, a 01 and now an 05 and all of them have been the most dependable trucks I have ever owned and don't require much of anything other than regular oil changes and new brakes when they wear out. As far as losing money when buying new that is a given and there is NO truck that you can buy that you won't lose on, I also had a couple of Toyota's and they are fun trucks, but the Ram is built sturdier and runs and runs forever with very minimal problems. Plus if you haul anything big i.e. boat, trailer or whatever the Ram is the way to go. I also have a hard time figuring out why you can't get comfotable in the seat, I am 6'3" and have long legs and have NO problem adjusting the seat to a comfortable spot, I guess maybe if you are 6'8" or 6'9" it could be tough, but then it would be in any truck. As far as the interior being cheap, well I haven't been in any truck that I would describe as luxurious, they use a lot of plastic in everything these days. Plus this is something you should have MAYBE noticed BEFORE you bought the Ram, buyimg new you can option out for leather or whatever pillows you need in there.

Quick Reply: Buyers Remorse