3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

when im in 4x4 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Ben D.
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: when im in 4x4 ?

there is honestly no condition on a road ice/snow/rain/whatever that warrants the use of 4x4. If you are an idiot and don't know how to drive it comes in handy. but if you realise that you are in adverse conditions so driving at 70 mph would be a bad idea you will be fine.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:06 PM
RamItOne

but if youre like me why slow down when you dont need to, when the city was shut down (due to icing) i still got on the highways, didnt go past 70, stayed around 65, no traffic so wasnt concerned about braking. Dont want to be one of those truck drivers i made fun of when id blow past them in my car.

"realise" = realize
ought to put spellcheck on this moforum lol

Old 03-02-2008, 11:48 PM
JD1500
Record Breaker

Well, regardless. 4x4 will not help you when your hydroplaning. There is absolutely no reason to be in 4x4 on the road if there is not ice/snow on it.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:19 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: philmays

This is due to the front wheels and back wheels turning at slightly different speeds. On loose soil (snow, sand, mud) you'll never feel it.

AWD acts differently as it only engages at a slip.

Big, BIIG, BIIIIG repair bill comping your way if you keep it up.
You mean the inside and outside wheels during a turn right? During a turn the inside wheels have less distance to travel compared to the outside wheels...which have to turn faster. The front wheels turn at the same speed as the back. Unless you break traction of course..

AWD is always active...their differentials built different to allow that. I think you're thinking of Auto 4x4 which only engages when it senses traction loss.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:46 AM
RAM0447
Professional

ORIGINAL: Ben D.

there is honestly no condition on a road ice/snow/rain/whatever that warrants the use of 4x4. If you are an idiot and don't know how to drive it comes in handy. but if you realise that you are in adverse conditions so driving at 70 mph would be a bad idea you will be fine.
Believe me, it's great to use in the snow.....I'd rather have my truck drive safely in the snow than losing control and hitting somebody. Ice really wouldn't matter since it would slide either way....I've never used it in the rain. But seriously, I'm sure everybody who has a 4x4 uses it when there is snow on the road. I don't understand why somebody wouldn't.....

Old 03-03-2008, 01:01 AM
RamItOne

jd two things one i said i used it for the first month or so when i was still used to driving a car, ie when i would pull out onto the main road id slip and fishtail when it was wet out.

sometimes ill still throw it in 4w when i know im gonna have to punch it to get onto the road and its wet, why wait for traffic to be completely clear. btw im talking about like at a tbone crossing.

i like this quote, i drive way too fast to worry about cholestoral.