3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

when im in 4x4 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Upaman22
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when im in 4x4 ?

so when im in 4 wheel drive on dry pavement , it seems as if my car kind of bucks around and doesnt wanna move so easily. My jeep wrangler did this also but not as bad as the ram is doing it.is this completly normal?

Old 03-02-2008, 12:23 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: when im in 4x4 ?

Yes it is normal, keep doing it and you will have a high repair bill. NEVER go 4x4 on dry pavement.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:28 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

4x4 isn't meant for dry pavement like 94rt said....it'll bind up your front-end during turns.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:04 PM
RamItOne

all of the above.........

hey im becoming a post ***** too...
eh ill contribute something, awd is designed to go on reg pavement, PT 4WD is not.

Part-Time? Full-Time? Automatic?... What About AWD?The common assumption is that 4x4 means all four wheels are driven at the same time. However, this isn't necessarily true. When a vehicle negotiates a bend, the differential in the axle compensates for the fact that the outside wheel travels further than the inside one does. Thus, it allows a speed differential to exist between the two wheels. Being a mechanical device, the differential abides by the laws of physics which state that energy always takes the easiest route. So, if one wheel is on a slippery surface (like ice) then all the energy will be sent to that wheel and away from the wheel with traction. The end result is that you lose all forward motion! When four-wheel drive mode is engaged, the front and rear axles are locked together, so at least one wheel on each axle can be driven by the engine effectively. You can force a 4x2 vehicle to act similar to a 4x4 on occasion by gently pressing the brake pedal to slow down the wheel that's spinning and transfer energy to the wheel with traction. 4 x 4 (4WD) - Describes a vehicle with four-wheel drive. The first figure is the number of wheels. The second is the number of powered wheels. 4 x 2 (2WD) - Refers to a two-wheel drive vehicle with four wheels. The first figure is the number of wheels. The second is the number of powered wheels. With a 4x2, engine power is transmitted to only two wheels, usually the rear. Part-Time 4WD - Refers to a four-wheel drive system that operates on-demand and drives all four wheels by locking front and rear axles together via a shift lever. It usually includes two speed ranges (Hi and Lo). Part-time 4WD systems must be operated in 2WD mode on dry pavement, as they're designed to be used only in specific situations when extra traction is required. Full-Time 4WD - Describes a four-wheel-drive system that can be operated continuously on all surfaces. A full-time four-wheel-drive system may include the option of part-time operation (allowing you to shift into 2WD on dry pavement for example), and may or may not have Hi and Lo speed ranges. Automatic Four-Wheel Drive (A4WD) - This type of drive system automatically engages 4WD as needed. When internal monitors sense differences in individual wheel speeds, indicating that a tire is slipping, then 4WD is automatically engaged. Shift on the Fly - This type of system allows manual shifting from 2WD to 4WD Hi without coming to a stop. Most systems have a speed limit at which you can engage the system; typically it's under 60 mph. All-Wheel Drive (AWD) - A full-time single-speed system designed to supply drive power to all four wheels. The percentage of front/rear power delivery varies from system to system.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:25 PM
RAM0447
Professional

lol....damn...curious, why would you drive with your 4x4 engaged on dry pavement anyway? You should read the manuals you vehicles come equipped with in the glove compartment

Old 03-02-2008, 01:33 PM
RamItOne

when i first bought my truck id run it in 4wd when it would rain, was used to driving cars and not slowing down for turns so i would slip, fishtail and 180 a lot when it was wet, that was only for the first month or so. came in real handy when our entire highway system (was closed due to icing) and half the side roads iced over for 2 or 3 days.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:37 PM
RAM0447
Professional

Yeah how many of you all use 4x4 when it just rains? I've been tempted to, but I just figured driving slow would be better off to save gas. However, I ALWAYS use it when it snows or when there is ice on the road.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:44 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

ive never had my truck buck when in 4x4 but then again ive never tried driving in 4x4 on dry pavement. ( why would you need to be in 4x4 on dry pavement?)

Old 03-02-2008, 07:27 PM
philmays
Rookie

This is due to the front wheels and back wheels turning at slightly different speeds. On loose soil (snow, sand, mud) you'll never feel it.

AWD acts differently as it only engages at a slip.

Big, BIIG, BIIIIG repair bill comping your way if you keep it up.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:48 PM
JD1500
Record Breaker

seroiusly....4x4 for rain?