3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Baja ATZ vs Cepek F-C II

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Rot Weiss Essen
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja ATZ vs Cepek F-C II

I am wondering if there is anybody that has run the Micky Thompson Baja ATZ or the Cepek F-C II's? I have run the BFG All-Terrain's and the Goodyear Wrangler ATS on my other Ram's in the past and the Baja ATZ and the F-C II look a little more aggresive from the tread pattern and sidewall, but I want to know how they are in snow and rain, because the mud I get into is only at work and it isn't deep. I know I can get the BFG's in just about any size, the ATZ's and F-C II's are a little more selective in their size offerings, as I plan to go either 18 or 17's. I have read some good stuff about the MT MTZ's, but I wonder if it carries over to the ATZ too? The Cepek F-C II's I haven't heard much about.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:34 PM
mmstar23
Champion
Default RE: Baja ATZ vs Cepek F-C II

Hammer has the F-C II's and he loves them. me and him have spent quite a while discussing tires. i formerly wanted Nitto Mud Grapplers and talking to him, i decided to decide on the Mickey Thompson ATZ's and Hammer has the F-C II's and like i said he loves them.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:50 PM
marv02
Captain

I had a set of M/T ATZ loved themthey are not a goodMUD tire The tread is not spaced far enought a part they load up with MUD wheel spin helps but this is not a mud tire great for SAND great on the HWY great ride good handling for what they are I had a set of 37-13.50-18 I was told you can get 45000 to 50000 miles out of a set If you take care of them dont abuse them to bad rotate them every 5000 miles.

I also have Ran some BFG's great tire also.

Just keep in mind If you doSCREW upa Tire it lot easyer to find a replacement BGF almost any where you go The M/T ATZ or D/C F/C-II you most likely have to order them.

I can not tell you how long the M/T last I had to trade that truck in For my Dodge I have now MPG was killing me But I sure miss having that Truck.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:02 PM
marv02
Captain

I also have had a set of D/C F/C thats back in around 1982 they worked great but did not last very long I abused them hard Plus they were Bias Ply type tire back then I heard that The F/C 2 Last much longer now a days, I sure they still work great they are more of a mud type tire.

Not a full tilt Mudder but more than the M/T ATZ.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:38 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ATZ = Very long wear. Very Low noise. Fantastic on pavement(dry & wet). Good snow and light trails. Awsome tire for 4x2's and 4x4 owners who stay mainly on pavement.

FCII = Long wear. Low noise. Great on pavement (dry & wet). Great snow & trails. Decent in mud. A hybrid tread that's more aggressive than an A/T but less aggressive (thus longer wearing)than a true mudder. A really good choice for the guy who has to commute to work during the week but likes to play hard on the weekends. Can hang with most M/T's in the slop, at least until you start talking about tires like the Baja Claw or Boggers...

[IMG]local://upfiles/67238/9FE7D569674F497CB4AA91BC11B23373.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-04-2008, 12:45 AM
Rot Weiss Essen
Professional

HammerZ71 I am guessing that your running a 35x12.5/17? It looks nice on your rig. Like the aggresive sidewalls and treadof the F-C II, funny thing is that you very rarely see them on any Ram's or other 4x4's either. Probably because places like Discount Tire and Les Schwab don't carry them.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:14 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Depends on where you are. I hardly saw them when I lived in south Ga., then a buddy in my hunting club got a set and raved on them. Next thing you know, about half the guys who were running their truck as a daily driver also, had them (the guys who only used their truck as weekend hunt/play toys of course stayed with their boggers & claws, understandably).

Now they are all over that county. I almost never see them here in central Fl., although maybe I started something. A college kid who works with me liked mine and got a set of 33s after he lifted his 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Now his father just lifted his Dodge 3500 CTD and put 37" FCIIs on it!

It really is a great tire if you want something more aggressive than a A/T that still handles and wears well on the road. I'm probably not going to replace mine with the same though. It has nothing to do with not liking them, but I bought an '02 Grand Cherokee Overland a few months ago to be my daily driver, freeing my truck up to be a play toy. As such I'm probably looking at Mickey MTZs or Cepek Mud Country's after these wear out, which won't be a while yet, as they have about 16,000 miles on them and could still pass for new...

Old 03-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a set of FC II's on my second gen ram and loved them. They were really good in the wet weather andgreat in the snow and mud. The only thing about them is that they ran really small compared to their advertised size. I had 33x12.5x17 on the truck but the actual height measured out at about 31.75.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:26 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

ORIGINAL: Off_Road_Teacher

I had a set of FC II's on my second gen ram and loved them. They were really good in the wet weather andgreat in the snow and mud. The only thing about them is that they ran really small compared to their advertised size. I had 33x12.5x17 on the truck but the actual height measured out at about 31.75.
Yea, we had this discussion at my hunting club in Ga. about a year and a half ago. When I set my tire size for speedo calibration on my Superchips it was way off, according to my GPS. I then heard someone on another forum mention that I needed to measure my tires, top to bottom, on level ground. This made up for manufacturer over-specing, air pressure, vehicle weight, etc. I actually measured my 35x12.5x17's to be a hairover 34.25".
After this discussion around the bonfire and the passing around of a few mason jars of 'shine, someone got a tape measure out of his truck toolbox and we went to measuring the different brands on everyone's truck. NOBODY's was at the advertised height (although I had to confirm those who had metric tires the next day as nobody had the faculties to try the conversion in their drunk *** head.
We found most were between a half and three quarter inches off, but found one very popular national brand that was supposed to be 37" to really be 35.25 inches. We have since not let this guy claim to have 37's on his Powerstroke...

Old 03-04-2008, 11:16 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had toyed with the Baja's when I wa shopping for shoes last month but I settled on BFG Mud Terrain TA's instead.

Quick Reply: Baja ATZ vs Cepek F-C II