3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cruise Control and Other

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:51 AM
melhoff13
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control and Other

Guys,

Here are the problems I am having. I have subs and a amp installed (Amp is 900W RMS). I also recently upgraded my battery to a RedTop Optima. When I am running the heater, lights, defrosters, and etc. the Cruise Control shuts off when the music hits a thump. I have to re-set it and then when a big thump hits the cruise control shuts off again. Also, the lights dim a bit and when idle, the battery gauge fluctuates a little with the stereo on. I am going today to have the ALT tested, but I am wondering if you all agree with me that the ALT may be going bad or I need a bigger one. The ALT is stock and I am looking at a 160 ALT for $160 plus core. I appreciate all replies....

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-04-2008, 10:44 AM
TANKZ400
All Star
Default RE: Cruise Control and Other

I've never heard on the cruise shuting off.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:07 AM
cddailey
Veteran

I would also invest in a good capacitor to help relieve some of the stress of your battery to your amp. they only run about 100 fora good one.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:58 AM
HighDuke1911
Champion

yeah... stumped me there. hmmm... a capacitor holds power from the battery. so its kinda like an extra little battery which all the power is taken from. soo... def get one of those. get all your electrical tested. this is just wierd!! hmm... oh!! make sure no wires are connected wrong. thats always something.

side note: i had a similar problem. in my moms honda crv, we have a pioneer avic-n2 and a rockford sub/amp combo. when the sub is turned on and im listening to a cd, it switches me to the radio and vice versa. i did everything i could to fix the problem. so now i figured out that it might be my wiring. i did it a while back (2006 when i got the car and the subs too). i had 2 subs in before. i took one out after i got a 2006 ram because the honda was mine then. my mom wanted more room for her groceries. so i took one out and left the other in a new box. i redid the wiring (again, while back before i figured this crap all out) the same as it was with 2 subs. big mistake. i still never get myself to fix it. sooo... question, did you have more than one sub before and do the same thing as me?

Old 03-04-2008, 02:55 PM
melhoff13
Rookie

Nope I've never had just one sub. I originally had them wired to 1 ohm (1 ohm stable amp), but the light dimming and battery gauge went crazy so i re-wired them down to 4 ohms and the problem lessened. I still have some light dimming, but not as bad as before.

On the capacitor, I have read on here and in other forums that it would be better to do the Big 3 upgrade or upgrade the ALT instead of installing a cap. Hopefully when I get the ALT tested I will have a better idea of what to do. I have a feeling that the amp is starting to crap out, but you never know!

Old 03-04-2008, 07:26 PM
melhoff13
Rookie

Update....The AutoShop tested my ALT and said it was fine. Now, I'm stumped....why would the bump in the bump make the cruise shut off???

Quick Reply: Cruise Control and Other