3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lift vs. speed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 10:30 PM
lilfroger
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lift vs. speed?

Yes it will change how fast the truck walks off the line but it can be compensated for. A lot of the diesel drag guys (yes I know you've got a hemi but the theory is still the same) have lifted trucks and still run the 1/4 in the 14's (and lower).

So if you want a big truck and you still want it fast on the drag it can be done. It just takes a bit more work.

[as for the peanut gallery....they're harmless...a bit of fun poking is to be expected around here...don't take it personal]

Old 03-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Rot Weiss Essen
Professional

It is definately going to be slower and the higher you go with the lift and the bigger the tire the more your making the engine work to compensate for the added unsprung weight and the higher drag cx #. 35" tires will be worse than 33's and 37" will be worse than 35's and so on.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:41 PM
mmstar23
Champion

love the doubles ramit....love the doubles. hahaha

im sorry but what the hell is markmark6464

Old 03-07-2008, 11:58 PM
RamItOne

ORIGINAL: lilfroger
A lot of the diesel drag guys (yes I know you've got a hemi but the theory is still the same) have lifted trucks and still run the 1/4 in the 14's (and lower).

but diesel spelled backwards and in german means Sh!tloads of torque, which is what is required to get that sumbitch rollin rollin (eh just got back from drinking, almost seeing double already so didnt want to type it)

Old 03-08-2008, 01:14 AM
MarkMark6464
Professional

Thanks, those are Some answers im looking for. I knew lift would reduce speed, not sure why i asked. I was just wondering how dramatic. guess i asked the wrong people.

MarkMark6464 , well Mark is my name, and it just happens to be there twice. If i knew it was such a big deal I may have come up with something different. I didnt know people cared so much about usernames. Wow.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:41 AM
RamItOne

and were you born in 1964?

A tuner and gears will do the most. But that's gonna be high end 1500 bucks.
Issue with lower gears like a 4.56 is since you have a 2wd your driveshaft is made out of aluminum and one long piece so it will be spinning a lot faster and more prone to break.

So pretty much you're looking at a grand for good meat
1500-2000 on the lift
and 1500 to bring it back to speed.

Now for the big question why are we lifting a 2wd truck and putting meatier tires

Putting a lift and tires on a 2wd truck to go offroading makes as much sense as taking a hooker to dinner first, you're still gonna get f$&ked in the end. And if you don't plan on going off road why are you getting meatier tires? Do you use your truck bed for what its intended?

Old 03-09-2008, 01:23 AM
RamItOne

bump

Old 03-09-2008, 03:41 AM
Rot Weiss Essen
Professional

Ramitone, you just got to remember that not everyone that comes on here goes offroad, there are a lot of SHOW trucks out there that are lifted and have all kinds of stuff on them to look mean, I am not saying it is wrong or right, it is for a different purpose and a different person. Remember if our trucks were all identical it wouldn't be any fun to come on the board to see what everyone has or is getting and what they look like. Yes you are correct 4WD is the way to go if you if you go in the dirt a lot, but not all do, so we must be tolerant of all. Some have more knowledge of tires, others know everything about hi-fi, others are engine guys, but we all fit in because we own a Ram.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:13 AM
RamItOne

oh yeah not everyone goes off road, but there's no sense in lifting and putting ATs or muds on a 2wd truck. now leveling it out, maybe a body lift at the most.
But between wanting to lift a 2wd truck and being concerned about 0-60 times, I'm wondering why not buy a civic, seeing that they are the best at wasting money trying to make their vehicle into something it isn't. Don't forget each decal adds 10hp or is it just 5hp
what say you hammer?

Old 03-09-2008, 05:11 AM
RamItOne

red white meal?

Quick Reply: Lift vs. speed?