3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My new truck is bouncing like crazy

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 09:02 PM
APPI
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new truck is bouncing like crazy

I picked up my 08 1500 Laramie QC 4x4 on Friday and on certain patches of freeway the frigging thing bounces like crazy. This is my first truck and a buddy says it's normal, but I can't believe a new 2008 vehicle would be expected to bouce so vioulently. What's up with this, PLEASE HELP!

Old 03-08-2008, 09:09 PM
decoraj
Default RE: My new truck is bouncing like crazy

I just picked my 08' up a couple of weeks ago and though I have not had it on a freeway, it is very smooth down the highway at 70 mph. Of course this is the first half ton pickup I have driven in about 8 years. If it is really riding that bad you should touch base with the dealership you bought it from.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:17 PM
APPI
Rookie

It's really wierd. Most of the time, it's nice and smooth. The Los Angeles freeway system is horrible, worst in the nation I believe, but a new truck should be able to handle this stuff. I think I could put some ballast in the rear to tame it, but don't want the gas trade off. I'm thinking that the stock shocks are garbage.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:08 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it have a "light load" switch? Maybe too much air in the tires? Years ago a friend of mine bought a new Mazda RX-4. He let me drive it for a bit and I noticed it was really twitchy and rough riding. Turned out it had 50# of air in the tires.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:33 PM
APPI
Rookie

ORIGINAL: MikeHTally

Does it have a "light load" switch? Maybe too much air in the tires? Years ago a friend of mine bought a new Mazda RX-4. He let me drive it for a bit and I noticed it was really twitchy and rough riding. Turned out it had 50# of air in the tires.
Good thought but that was the first thing I checked. No light load switch, haven't even heard of that while ordering the truck.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:44 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

I'm thinking it's normal...mine alsorides rough over continuous light bumps on the freewaybut it's a2wd RCSB. It takes med to hard bumps decently though. It's a give and take thing...stiff suspension but hardly any body roll.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:26 PM
stunta666
Rookie

mines an 06 qc 4x4 and when i hit bumps it the rear end will get all loose and bumpy. Im not sure if yours is like that but if it is i've heard helper springs will fix it or even rear leaf clamps.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:28 AM
APPI
Rookie

It's not really loose, the rear end still feels planted, it's the body that's hopping a lot.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:41 AM
thebean
Professional

When I first bought my truck I noticed the same thing. After 11k miles, the ride isn't as harsh as when it was new, but it still gets skittish on parts of the 405 at 70+mph. I suspect there is nothing wrong with your truck; it's the nature of the beast.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:32 AM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of our Ram owners from California noticed that the spacing of the seams in the concrete on the highway was causing this bounce. Based on you saying certain patches of the highway I would say it has something to do with that.

Quick Reply: My new truck is bouncing like crazy