3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CIA- From TB's or No?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CIA- From TB's or No?

Why thank you! I hope this puts an end to the CAI's dont work Myth! 140 Dyno runs ought to be proof enough for anyone![sm=closed.gif]

Old 03-17-2008, 05:31 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

from the website's left hand side box
here are the
'devil in the details'
words:

"Our testing and evaluation was performed on a 1999 Honda Civic Si with 37,000 miles of service."

notice that nowhere in the article does it say
that a fresh clean new oem Honda filter was put in as the 'base'

that means that they are testing those aftermarket cai's
against of a stock air filter with 37,000 mile of crud restricting it

under those trick conditions...sure those hp numbers are easy to get

KN does the same thing at their dyno test for the Ram,
they also test against a factory filter with more than 30,000 miles on it

KN even had an magazine ad a month or two ago
where they admit that
it takes 12 inches of dirty air filter restriction to change the hp
...it was almost like they were laughing at their customers
and sending a message to those in the know...wink..wink

you wag'ers never learn
but what do you expect
from someone who instantly knows
who Rosie O'Donnell is
but does not know
who Kelly Johnson was.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:52 AM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

Thats where your wrong Hankey, I know more about the Skunk Works than you ever will. I have pounded the flightlines and seen first hand the inner workings of SR's and u-2's. You should know better than to make blind assinine assumptions about people you know nothing about.
And thats what you are doing here, assuming that the mag in question is trying to decieve the public. Even tho the are in the business of informing consumers of the validity of claims made by CAI manufacturers. Did you contact them to see If they started with a clean filter? NO, you made an assinine assumption.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:29 AM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

This is my last word on the subject. Some people cannot be convinced that the world is in fact round. Dont bother to post a reply Hank, I am sure you will come up with some off the wall reason to dispute the results these guys attained. Even tho the tests were flow benched, monitored by A dash Hawk system and the factory airbox was upgraded to a K&N filter before the baseline. I am sure you will find some way ignore the obvious.

BWoody Performance Jeep SRT-8 Cold Air Intake
$349.99 $309.99

Click to enlarge
*******FREE POWDERCOATING BY CHOOSING SILVER AS YOUR COLOR IM THE DROP DOWN MENU AND ENTERING THIS CODE (GCSRT-8=COLORCHOICE) JUST ENTER THE COLOR YOU WANT IN THE COMMENTS SECTION (EXAMPLE: GCSRT-8=SUPERGLOSS RED) DURING CHECKOUT AND THE POWDERCOATING IS ABSOLUTLY FREE!!*******

Here it is the only true cold air intake available for the SRT-8 Jeep Grand Cherokee. We have experienced 1.2 to 2.6 mpg gain!!! Dash hawk temps at WOT are 3-4 degrees lower than ambient temps, Dash hawk 0-60 has decreased by .3, on our bone stock srt-8 Jeep with the K&N drop in and the snorkel mod our 1/4 mile time was 13.394, with the BWoody cold air intake we now run a 13.228 consistantly, thats a .166 decrease in the 1/4 mile on a bone stock Jeep srt-8!!

Flowbench results showed a whopping 244.5 cfm increase over the OEM airbox!!

Our intake was dyno tested against a competitors and showed an 8 hp. and 15 tq. gain!!

Our intake was also dyno tested against the OEM intake and showed a 17.4 whp gain!!!

Color shown is anodized grape with black silicone couplers

Standard colors are silver and wrinkle black, silicone couplers are black, blue or red please write in the notes what color couplers you want. If you wish to have a custom color please choose in the drop down boxes below. If you don't see the color you want please contact us we have over 150 colors instock.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:35 AM
HankL
Champion

it is more than 100 years old now
but the great American saying
by PT Barnum

"There is a Sucker born every minute"

still rings true and,
Ken Johnson and Norm McDonald
are laughing all the way to the bank

Old 03-17-2008, 07:37 AM
HankL
Champion

Horseapples
if what you say is true
Kelly Johnson would be ashamed of you

"Go Forth and Sin no More"

Old 03-17-2008, 08:38 AM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: HankL

Horseapples
if what you say is true
Kelly Johnson would be ashamed of you

"Go Forth and Sin no More"
I dont think so. Mr Johnson was well aware of the benifits of "laminar flow" and the importance of smooth radiused air intakes. He was well versed in aerodynamics, vortex generatorsand Hydrodynamics. Thats why he designed aircraft nacells to be smooth and as straight as possible with no restrictive bends or angles (unlike factory Ram air boxes).Mr Johnson and I have quite A lot in common. A love of aircraft and a good understanding of airflow characteristics, including theory of laminar verses turbulant flow. Having spent the early part of my adult life (20 years) working on and around aerospace vehicles, I feel that I am well qualified to express my opinion on the matter of air flow. I would be interested to hear your background on the subject.

What part of the post on the SRT8 CAI do you find issue with? It looked like these guys tested their intake as scientifically as humanly possible. Even using flow benches, drag strip runsand wide band O2 processor(Dash Hawk) Please expound upon your assesment.

Any information based in fact will be considered, cheap insults and childish attempts to frustrate or raise my ire(re: PT Barnum) do nothing but stregnthen my resolve and decrease my already substandard opinion on your knowledge on this particular subject.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:46 AM
2005cobrakiller
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh yeah plastic tubing is better then metal for cai....how hot does metal get after the engine is warmed up.....plastic is better

Old 03-17-2008, 08:56 AM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

I think you missed the point Killer. Hank is of the opinion that CAI's are a waste of money and make no improvement on the induction systemat all.
I agree, the plastic tubes will be less prone to heat saturation than aluminum will.Wrapping the tube (aluminum or plastic) with air conditioning duct insolation will dramatically decrease the air temp going into the engine.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:18 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Do get a CAI, it not only shows small performance gains on it's own, but really shines in making other mods such as a cat-back and headers work more efficiently.
Don't get one with a metal intake tube. Don't know if it's any better or worse from a performance stand point vs. a plastic tube or not, but I have the K&N 77 series, the chrome finish looks really nice under the hood, but the echoing sound of the EGR Valve will drive you bonkers 'till you get used to it...