3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Squeek, squeek, squeek question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 08:08 PM
grymcraft
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeek, squeek, squeek question

Hello all,

I have an 05 2500 quad cab hemi and I am having some trouble. Whenever I am in motion and turn the wheel my truck starts squeaking at me. (kind of a rubber on metal squeek???) Almost in time with the tire rotation. I checked the shocks, ball joints for squeeks and travel time and the calipers for debris, everything looked fine. I tried lubricating most of the suspension joints and that didn't help either... the passenger side sounds horrible when I turn and the drivers side sqeeks as well but not near as bad. The only thing that looked wrong was that it seemed as if the front steering stablizer appeared as if it had been leaking a little... I have no warrenty as I bought it used and before taking it in to the shop I thought I'd see if anyone on here could offer any advice.....
thanks a lot!

Old 03-15-2008, 10:05 PM
killerbud420
Veteran
Default RE: Squeek, squeek, squeek question

i got my truck used to an i didin get from dodge an here recently i blew my motor up but called dodge up an it had the 7 year 70,000 mile warntty it's up there now i had few words with them but yea its covered might want to check to see if you have that it being an 05 an every thing[sm=confused06.gif]

Old 03-15-2008, 10:57 PM
04 HEMI 04
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i might have the same problem that you had but i have some questions to ask you. here is the following question:

1. is it very hard to turn when fully stop?

2. does it makes noises when you turn?

3. does it turn all the way completely?

answer this questions and i might be able to help you....

Old 03-15-2008, 11:11 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You mentioned the noise changes with speed, that would indicate brakes.

How many miles? What has been done to the truck?

Old 03-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Tractor
Professional

My guess is the U-joints- one behind each brake rotor. Been there done that at 26,000mi in a 04' 2500 4x4.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:32 AM
grymcraft

hey guys thanks for the fast responses... killerbud it's got 120 000 k on it so i think i'm s.o.l.
04 hemi, it turns fine and all the way even while stopped so the power steering is ok I think... it only makes noise while i"m moving and turning, not while stopped...
94rt10ohio the truck is stock (at this time haha) there is lots of pad life left on all tires... the only thing ive changed so far besides new shocks which a shop put in...
tractor, any tips on what to look for with the u-joints I've never messed with them before, sorry if this is a stupid question hanent had too many trucks beffore only a f-150 and had no probs with u-joints...

thanks everyone for the input any other ideas or guesses???

Old 03-16-2008, 01:12 AM
04 HEMI 04
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hello again,

i think that your problem with the truck about squeeking sound might be the brake pad the is too close to the rotors which is resulted in making noises. it has happened with my mom's minivan and we got it fixed and it works just fine.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:19 AM
chadmech28
Professional

sounds like the front u-joints starting to seize up, very common in though trucks!.

Quick Reply: Squeek, squeek, squeek question