3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Alignment Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 03:49 PM
HEMI07
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Alignment Questions

hammerZ71...there is definetely Camber adjustments that can be made on my front end? When looking straight at the truck from the front, the tires seem like they are kicked in at the bottom and out at the top still. That would be a camber adjustment right?

Old 03-25-2008, 05:36 PM
damram1980
Professional

im gonna say shocks on the camber issue , if u lifted the truck would there be less presure on the old shocks causing a bow so to speak?

Old 03-25-2008, 05:52 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: red06RAM

If you are not happy with it take it back and make them fix it. No rear adjusting is necessary with a level kit. Take some pics if you get a chance.
Not their responsibility, unless an alignment was quoted with the job. There should be camber (tires not vertical when viewed from the front), caster (center of wheel in relation to the pivot point of the steering knuckle), and toe-in (whether the tire is pigeon-toed or splay-footed). I don't think the shocks have any influence on any of these.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:31 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: HEMI07

I took the truck to the dealer today to get an alignment and they had my truck all day. Picked it up tonight and its pulling to the right and the tires still dont seem to be sitting straight up and down like they used to.
Mikey: He did pay for an alignment, see above[sm=icon_beat.gif].

My contention is that camber & caster adjustment should have been made as part of that alignment he paid for. Hence, I advised him to take it back to have it made right...

Old 03-25-2008, 06:49 PM
HEMI07
Veteran

how do they adjust caster and camber?

Old 03-25-2008, 06:56 PM
HEMI07
Veteran

i beginning to think that the first mistake I made was going to the dealer for the alignment. They cant seem to think outside the box when fixing anything that has been altered.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:04 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Got this straight from the Dodge 1500 Service Manual (keep in mind this isfor an '02-'05, beginning in '06 they changed the front ends, so it may be a little different in your truck).
Please forgive the Plagiarism:

CAMBER, CASTER AND TOE ADJUSTMENT

Note: SUSPENSION HEIGHT MEASUREMENT MUST BE PERFORMED BEFORE AN ALIGNMENT.

Camber and caster angle adjustments involve changing the position of the lower control arm with the slots in the frame brackets to move the lower control arm inwards or outwards for proper adjustment. This can be achieved by using a long pry bar with a curved tip and inserting the pry bar into the lower control arm frame brackets and prying inwards or outwards.

Note: Camber and caster adjustments must be made at the lower control arm. Do not use the upper control arm for Camber and Caster adjustments.

Note: When the lower control arm pivot bolts are loosened the lower control arm will normally go outwards automatically with the weight of the vehicle.

CASTER

Moving the rear position of the lower control arm at the frame in or out, will change the caster angle significantly and camber angle only slightly. To maintain the camber angle while adjusting caster, move the rear of the lower control arm in or out. Then move the front of the lower control arm slightly in the opposite direction.

CAMBER

Move both the front and rear of the lower control arm together in or out. This will change the camber angle significantly and caster angle slightly.

After adjustment is made tighten the lower control arm bolt & nuts to 244 N·m (180 ft. lbs.).

Old 03-25-2008, 08:35 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

ORIGINAL: HEMI07

I took the truck to the dealer today to get an alignment and they had my truck all day. Picked it up tonight and its pulling to the right and the tires still dont seem to be sitting straight up and down like they used to.
Mikey: He did pay for an alignment, see above[sm=icon_beat.gif].

My contention is that camber & caster adjustment should have been made as part of that alignment he paid for. Hence, I advised him to take it back to have it made right...
My reference was to the folks who did the lift. Yes, caster and camber is part of the alignment. Don't know why he went to the dealer. Should have gone to someone qualified.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:45 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

ORIGINAL: MikeHTally
My reference was to the folks who did the lift. Yes, caster and camber is part of the alignment. Don't know why he went to the dealer. Should have gone to someone qualified.
OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
Parts/Service is gonna ban you for sure now!!![&:]

I like the answer though...

Old 03-25-2008, 09:53 PM
HEMI07
Veteran

i did the leveling kit myself.

Quick Reply: Alignment Questions