3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Alignment Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 10:36 PM
yellow46gt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Alignment Questions

I have aligned plenty of dodge trucks, not sure what year yours is but the rear is not adjustable, and the front camber and caster is. The 06+ adjustments are on the lower control are, and the previous models are on the upper control are. One thing you want to look for is the caster split, or the difference between the left and right sides. I know the newer models want a difference, but I don't feel it is the right thing to do. They always pull using the factory spec so I always match them. Technically since you change the ride height of the vehicle the factory specs are the wrong ones to use. I would try to get your camber to zero degrees, and match the factory caster specs, but keep them even, I think I have mine at 3.8 degrees on both sides. Set the toe correctly to factory spec, which I think is .05degree toe in on each side and you should be fine unless you get larger tires then you might want to set the toe in a little more you will know if you need to do that because the inside of your tires will start to show some wear. The reason you need to set it in with larger tires is because as you are driving the larger tires create more force on the road pulling the tires out and you need to set the toe a little further in to keep them from wearing. Hope this info helps. As a side note, if it pulls now and didn't before, they screwed up, take it back, and with the little that you lifted it your shocks should be fine.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:18 AM
HEMI07
Veteran

Thanks guys...this info helps alot!

Old 03-26-2008, 03:55 PM
HEMI07
Veteran

Well, just got a call from the dealer and they said the truck is done after 2 mechanics and all day. They said it goes straight down the road now, but will track from left to right because of the leveling kit I put on it. They also said that it will never ride like it did before because I altered the front end. I thought that putting a leveling kit on doesnt change the ride quality??? I feel like I am being heavily bull-****ted!

Old 03-26-2008, 05:50 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Leveling keys on the Torsion Bar 02-05's are known to stiffen the front a little (not much in comparison to cranking the bolts) but I un-installed and re-installed a set of Rancho QuickLifts on a buddy's '06 with the same coil over front end as you (bad install at the Midas shop he bought them at) and afterward we are both in agreement that the ride is as good as it was stock (with a whole lot better stance). And NO, it does not pull left or right and he has yet to do an alignment.
IMO there is no way simpy installing a set of coil spacers should result in a pull in either direction, especially after an alignment.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:58 PM
justntexas07
Veteran

ORIGINAL: HEMI07

Well, just got a call from the dealer and they said the truck is done after 2 mechanics and all day. They said it goes straight down the road now, but will track from left to right because of the leveling kit I put on it. They also said that it will never ride like it did before because I altered the front end. I thought that putting a leveling kit on doesnt change the ride quality??? I feel like I am being heavily bull-****ted!

Yes, sounds like you are getting the run around from them. Like I said I took it to Firestone and they had it back to be within 2-3 hours and it rides better than it did before the leveling kit, this is the reason people do lelving kits, to keep the factory ride. I would take it to a place that specializes in alignments and see what they say, it may cost you an extra $70-$80 but it will be worht it. IMO

Old 03-26-2008, 07:58 PM
mmstar23
Champion

for those of you that put the leveling kit in yourself...yes i know theres a DIY....and i read it both 2wd an 4x4 many of times...but can any of you key me in on the process of taking out the coil....im doing it with my dad and he keeps saying its dangerous due to the compression on it....is this true? how do i pull it out? and is there pressure on it or no? thanks a lot guys!

Old 03-26-2008, 09:54 PM
HEMI07
Veteran

it all depends on what kit you get. if you are getting the coil spacer that goes between the spring and strut cap, then yes this is pressure and you need a spring compressing tool to get it apart and re-assemble. On my kit, the whole strut assembly comes out as a whole and the spacer bolts to the top of that and it gets re-installed back in the truck.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:47 PM
mmstar23
Champion

mine just goes ontop of the coils. so i need to rent a coil spring compressor....i though i could just use another jack...but if not then ill have to find me that tool.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:10 AM
yellow46gt

I would get an alignment spec sheet and post it, I will tell you if they screwed up based on the spec and where it is set at. I can see a little crown pull but other than that they are just retards.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:37 AM
HEMI07
Veteran

just to clear a few things up, the truck starting pulling to the right after they aligned it the first time. It didnt pull when I put the leveling kit on. I just got the truck back last night after they had the truck for the entire day again. They had to bring another mechanic over from another one of their dealerships and it took the 2 mechanics 2 hrs each to get it straight. They of coarse had to re-align the truck all over again. It seems to drive straight now and the wheels seem to be sitting right in the front now by looking at it. Of coarse there is no way for me to tell if the camber is 100% correct, but its close enough I guess. This was def a lesson learned! DONT GO TO THE DEALER FOR AN ALIGNMENT AFTER INSTALLING A LEVELING KIT!!!

Quick Reply: Alignment Questions