3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2 Cylinders misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008 | 09:23 PM
kutz420
|
Professional
Default RE: 2 Cylinders misfiring

Yeah who knows, Maybe tomorrow they can clear it up for me.

Old 03-28-2008 | 09:45 PM
287cc
Veteran

kutz420, you said when you did the key trick no codes pop up right? On the odometer did it just read done?
RamItOne, the 4.7s dont have plug wires just ingntion coils whichhe should check....And also check the conditon of the spark plugs, they should be replaced every 30-40k.

Old 03-28-2008 | 10:16 PM
RamItOne

sorry the ignition coils should be replaced at 100k, just talked about this with another df'r the other day, they called them plug wires so i just decided to call them. i knew they werent your traditional plug wires (ill update the other post) but i called dodge and asked them when to replace (gave them my ymm 06 4.7) and they were the ones that said 100k

Old 03-28-2008 | 10:18 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: kutz420

I plan on it. I did try the code thing, problem is the light hasn't come back on yet. If its severe cylinder problems or something along those lines do you think the code would come back on immediately? Is there any tricks to make the light come back on? (not that i really wish that) but it would be nice to see what code they've been clearing.
Go to autozone and use their OBD-II scanner to see the codes...they'll let you use it for free. The codes are stored in memory even if the light isn't on...you can also check the historyfor prior codes. Sometimes the codes can really help in troubleshooting...such as if you have the random misfire code (P0300 Ithink)or a specific cylinder (P0301-P-0308).

Also i'd pull the plugs before you bring in your truck and waste your money....the plugs will tell you a lot. Post pics of them if you want and we can help...remember to keep them labeled for which cylinder they belong to. Put them back in when done so the shop can use them for troubleshooting also..

Old 03-29-2008 | 12:55 AM
kutz420
|
Professional

287cc yeah the odo read done. The shop has been clearing the light and told me no codes were coming up. They werent saying theres not a problem just they didnt have any codes.
Im not to good at the newer car **** with all the computers and such. Give me a 350 and i can do an entire engine swap. But the electro computer engines give me trouble sometimes.

I dont plan on wasting any money. This is their duty to fix depending on what it is.

I've searched a little on spark plugs to replace in my truck, but before that i ended up getting some Bosch platinums. they have the two ?prongs,arms for the electrode? anyways, shouldnt have any problems using those spark plugs should I?

I appreciate everyones help so far.
Kutz

Old 03-29-2008 | 05:40 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Hemi's hate Bosch Platinums. I've always used them because I've always gotten fantastic performace from them in my Jeep Wranglers and Grand Cherokee's with 4.0 I6 engines. I'd see like an instant 2 mpg gain as soon as I went to them.
But the set I put in the Hemi caused an unsteady idle and took longer to "turn over". Pulled them all and re-checked looks, gap, etc. (which is a bitch in a Hemi). Then I read a whole lotta post where others had issues with platinum plugs as well.
Get the traditional copper tops, better performance in this engine and better on the wallet too. Hell, this may be your whole misfire problem, although they didn't cause a CEL on me...

Old 03-29-2008 | 11:31 AM
kutz420
|
Professional

Now to clarify, I didn't put them in yet. I'm stating that i had bought them before doing any research on here. So I guess I dont know as much about spark plugs as id like to. Its just hard for me to believe that a better conducting platinum plug is not the better choice. IDK. Will O2 sensors throw a CEL light on dodges? What exactly causes cylinders to misfire? That would be electrical or coil problems id think.

Old 03-29-2008 | 11:32 AM
kutz420
|
Professional

Forgot to say I dropped the truck off this morning. Hopefully I'll have some answers by tonight.

Old 03-29-2008 | 01:00 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Now to clarify, I didn't put them in yet. I'm stating that i had bought them before doing any research on here. So I guess I dont know as much about spark plugs as id like to. Its just hard for me to believe that a better conducting platinum plug is not the better choice. IDK. Will O2 sensors throw a CEL light on dodges? What exactly causes cylinders to misfire? That would be electrical or coil problems id think.
Yes on the o2's

A miss can be caused by a lot of things (the coils, fuel injectors, plugs, wires when you have'em, head gasket, etc) so you need to find out where your problem is...fuel, air or spark.Check for spark first and then fuel..

Also, about your earlier post about the CEL but no codes....was the CEL just flashing or was it a steady CEL? A flashing CEL usually indicates a random misfire.

Old 03-29-2008 | 01:00 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Forgot to say I dropped the truck off this morning. Hopefully I'll have some answers by tonight.
Oh...nevermind then

Quick Reply: 2 Cylinders misfiring