3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2 Cylinders misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008 | 04:42 PM
kutz420
|
Professional
Default RE: 2 Cylinders misfiring

All right. Heres whats happening. I got my truck back. The guy said that everything is checking out and just wants me to keep an eye on it. So before I get even 2 miles away. Up pops the little yellow engine. Not that this is a shock to me, after all they didn't actually replace anything. So I go home and do the key trick and get a P 0306 code(Cylinder No. 6 Misfire).
Any one know why it doesnt list the 7 and 8 cylinders?

I guess the logical thing would be to do a Cap, Rotor, Plugs and Wires huh.

I also was told something about my automatic transmission learning my driving style after 2-3 thousand miles and re-caliberating itself. If thats true is that a good or bad thing. I think it shifts lke **** right now. Doesn't feel like it drops into first at most red lights.

I took some pics of the engine bay but didn't think they be worth any trouble shooting value.

Old 03-29-2008 | 05:12 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: kutz420

All right. Heres whats happening. I got my truck back. The guy said that everything is checking out and just wants me to keep an eye on it. So before I get even 2 miles away. Up pops the little yellow engine. Not that this is a shock to me, after all they didn't actually replace anything. So I go home and do the key trick and get a P 0306 code(Cylinder No. 6 Misfire).
Any one know why it doesnt list the 7 and 8 cylinders?

I guess the logical thing would be to do a Cap, Rotor, Plugs and Wires huh.

I also was told something about my automatic transmission learning my driving style after 2-3 thousand miles and re-caliberating itself. If thats true is that a good or bad thing. I think it shifts lke **** right now. Doesn't feel like it drops into first at most red lights.

I took some pics of the engine bay but didn't think they be worth any trouble shooting value.
See if you're getting spark on 6...if not and the plug looks decent then the coil is most likely bad. It doesn't list 7 and 8 because they're not missing.

You have the 4.7 right? I think it's a coil-over-plug ignition so you don't have a cap or rotor....the plugs are connected directly to the coils so you don't have wires either.

Old 03-29-2008 | 05:36 PM
kutz420
|
Professional

Well I was looking in the diesel section of my haynes book. Thats where 7 8 were missing.
Anyways Im a little curious. I do have a 4.7, but it doesnt say magnum like some of the other ones I've seen. I guess in 02 they were just plain old 4.7s???

Its raining right now and I dont feel like pulling the Z out of the Garage and messing with it. Maybe tomorrow.

Im not looking to dump a bunch of money in this truck. Can i get some decent plug wires, cap, and rotor from Advanced Auto, Autozone, or O'reilys? Anybody and some tried and true brand preferences?

Name:  P3290078.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  56.1 KB

You can't tell me that air intake isnt restrictive as all hell. It looks like a f'n pancake!

Old 03-29-2008 | 05:55 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Oh yea you do have wires...what year is your truck?

The wires look original...i'd do a full tune up and replace the cap/rotor like you talking about earlier. You can also try the old screw driver trick for checking spark...pull the wire off the plug, ground the screwdriver and put the driver across the boot. You should get some cool sparksIf you have a multimeter you can also ohm check the #6 wire. I'm just throwing ideas out there...all you can really do over the net.

Old 03-29-2008 | 05:59 PM
kutz420
|
Professional

Its a 02
Name:  fullfront.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  61.3 KB

Old 03-29-2008 | 06:11 PM
daytona1680
Veteran

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

Hemi's hate Bosch Platinums. I've always used them because I've always gotten fantastic performace from them in my Jeep Wranglers and Grand Cherokee's with 4.0 I6 engines. I'd see like an instant 2 mpg gain as soon as I went to them.
But the set I put in the Hemi caused an unsteady idle and took longer to "turn over". Pulled them all and re-checked looks, gap, etc. (which is a bitch in a Hemi). Then I read a whole lotta post where others had issues with platinum plugs as well.
Get the traditional copper tops, better performance in this engine and better on the wallet too. Hell, this may be your whole misfire problem, although they didn't cause a CEL on me...
he has 4.7, not the hemi.....I used the bosch platinums on my 02 4.7 and never had any problems. and yea, the 02's and I think 03'shad wires. 04 and up is the new style 4.7..im betting the # 6 coil pack is bad, try moving the # 6 pack somewhere else and see what happenes. if it misfires on that cylander then you know it is the coil pack

Old 03-29-2008 | 06:16 PM
kutz420
|
Professional

Your confusing me daytona. Coil packs replace the cap and rotor styles right???

Old 03-29-2008 | 06:34 PM
daytona1680
Veteran

ORIGINAL: kutz420

Your confusing me daytona. Coil packs replace the cap and rotor styles right???
ummm. we got a problem here...is that picture you posted of your engine? that engine in your pic is the 5.9L 360

Old 03-29-2008 | 07:57 PM
kutz420
|
Professional

Ouch. That makes me feel like a total tool. [&o]

Old 03-29-2008 | 10:40 PM
daytona1680
Veteran

lol. dont feel bad, everyone makes mistakes but anyway..now that were in a totally differant ball game id get a new rotor, cap, wires and plugs. the cap is located on the back of the block...MSD makes good stuff, some people say its high price; but you get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: 2 Cylinders misfiring