3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine Noise (Not the Tick?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Nbabin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Noise (Not the Tick?)

I have read through all the forums that I can and my eyes are killing me so hopefully nobody gives me the "read this" post answer, just don't want to waste anyone's time.

I am not sure if I have the "Hemi Tick", there are a few noises but the one that gets me is when I am driving and I place the engine in heavy torque situations. Like 55mph and 2000 rpm if I hit the gas there is a very noticable click or tap. It is no where to be found at idle or under many other driving situations. I am lost and confused. Anybody have any ideas on what this could be confirm/deny if it is the same as your Hemi Tick...

Thanks

Old 03-28-2008, 07:53 PM
nosey
Default RE: Engine Noise (Not the Tick?)

have you looked at the driveline??? u-joints, rearend, possibly rear suspension or engine/tranny mounts. from what you said it doesnt sound like an engine issue

Old 03-28-2008, 10:55 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Nbabin

I have read through all the forums that I can and my eyes are killing me so hopefully nobody gives me the "read this" post answer, just don't want to waste anyone's time.

I am not sure if I have the "Hemi Tick", there are a few noises but the one that gets me is when I am driving and I place the engine in heavy torque situations. Like 55mph and 2000 rpm if I hit the gas there is a very noticable click or tap. It is no where to be found at idle or under many other driving situations. I am lost and confused. Anybody have any ideas on what this could be confirm/deny if it is the same as your Hemi Tick...

Thanks
Mine does it also...is this what it does (happens at 8 sec in)? http://youtube.com/watch?v=HOy1cm5CcXsI'm thinking it's the ****ty collapsible lifters used with the MDS system...since the taps/clatter happens when the MDS comes on. I drive around town in tow/haul and it doesn't do it as bad since the MDS doesn't come on.

The useless dealers said it "combustion noise" and another said it was "normal, probably exhaust"...****in dealers

EDIT: BTW that truck in the vid is mine when I first got it...that noise happened around 35 under light load and happens instantly.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:22 PM
yellow46gt

I just got my HEMI truck and it has a tick, and so does my friends. What is it????

Old 03-29-2008, 08:54 AM
sschevy400
Professional

The hemi tick is suppose to me normal.....says the dealer. But yet my solid lifter nova doesnt tick as loud as my ram. So is my nova abnormal???

What Nbabin is talking about sounds different....Mine does it when i'm crusin, and then mash it to pass someone. Its more like a thump, then the truck takes off. Its my Tq converter unlocking very hard. Dealer cant seem to get it to do it for them. Oh well....Lifetime warranty....

Old 03-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Nbabin

The Noise is coming from the front right engine compartment. Already had a hole in my exhaust fixed there, and that was not it. Also I am driving a 2004 without the MDS. I think the idea of just checking to make sure all of the bolts are tight sounds like a first option. I had someone mention a smoke machine and testing to see if there were any holes in the exhaust. Maybe it is something in the exhaust head, a leak or something of that nature. I will let everyone know if I figure it out

Old 03-29-2008, 10:41 AM
daytona1680
Veteran

Its the hemi tick, ussually occurs under light to moderate load...It is common, pretty much all trucks have it and is more noticable with a CAI on your truck.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:47 AM
daytona1680
Veteran

and SeVeReDiStOrTiOn ...that is way to loud to be normal, I havent heard any trucks with the tick that loud;almost sounds like you have a rattle snake in your truck. ha ha

Old 03-29-2008, 11:00 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

ahahha[sm=icon_rofl.gif]....yea thanks, that's about the only thing that pisses me off about this truck. It runs great and pulls hard..just sounds like crap in gear at some speeds. Out of gear it's nice and smooth all the way up to the limiter with just the normal v8 valve noise. Oh well...I only paid 16k for it brand new so i'm not too upset about it.

Oh and Nabin...i've also read on here that the EGR valve on the hemi's can be a cause ofthe tapping sound. I unplugged mine a few months back but that wasn't it...you might have better luck. The engine light will come on but it'll go off after a certain number of miles and ignition cycles.

Quick Reply: Engine Noise (Not the Tick?)