3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New way to improve mileage,maybe

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008 | 07:38 PM
Silver Eagle
|
Captain
Default New way to improve mileage,maybe

Hi Guy's ,I belong to a couple of forums and on the PT forums they all say the same thing about gas mileage ,If you get a new exhaust or a new air filter or intake the first thing they have to do is disconnect the Battery.The computer has to reset it self so the car or truck can run properly. So last week I did just that on one of my PT's .I disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes and then I hooked it back up. Still on the same tank of gas but it does seem to be lasting longer and the engine does sound better especially when I kick it. So tomorrow I'm going to Disconnect the Battery on the Hemi. Any ideas on this.

Old 04-01-2008 | 07:50 PM
jstmahoney
Captain
Default RE: New way to improve mileage,maybe

Did you disconnect the + and -? Do you have a sun roof? Does it work? Did you check to make sure when you put the wires back on, that everything still opperates? My Uncle had replaced his battery and the sun roof wouldnt work and a couple of other things. He had to take it back to the stealership to have the comp reset. Sounds like a good Idea though, I wanna try it.

Old 04-01-2008 | 07:54 PM
RamItOne

i just drive downhill.........
if youre still on your first tank it doesnt mean anything, if you ever compare the 1/4 tank marks on the instrument cluster they dont come out evenly when you look at your trip meter, between the full and 3/4 always lasts the longest, but if i went according to that i could go about 480-500 miles on a tank. wait till youve got a few tanks into it, and please dont tell me you were going off of the lie-o-meter. do the math.

Old 04-01-2008 | 07:59 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

It's recommended to reset the PCM after a lot of mods so the PCM "learns" to use them faster. Although I've been told by the "performance shop" guys that without manual resetting, the PCM will re-train itself to better utilize the mod/change within about 300 miles...

Old 05-22-2008 | 06:23 PM
realdeal47201

I wanted to ask if anyone had been thinking about using a E85 Ethanol Conversion Kit on their car or truck?
Brent

Old 05-22-2008 | 09:34 PM
19ramslt98

Just put bigger tires on the back that way you are always going down hill............
sorry i love that one!

Old 05-22-2008 | 09:47 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

'
ORIGINAL: realdeal47201

I wanted to ask if anyone had been thinking about using a E85 Ethanol Conversion Kit on their car or truck?
Brent
if you're thinking about doing it to save money on gas, don't bother. ethanol has less energy than gasoline, your economy will drop by a larger percentage than what you will save at the pump. of course if you want to "go green" and burn something different.

btw, don't listen to those people that say "i switched to E85 and my mileage stayed the same/went up". Yea, and I keep two fat chicks in the back seat so my mileage goes up when going downhill...

Quick Reply: New way to improve mileage,maybe