3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Do 37's on an IFS suspension really = death?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:56 PM
RedRam2005
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do 37's on an IFS suspension really = death?

Alright I have been told time and time again that >35's=death on IFS suspension trucks.I am still looking into a way around it and I have a question.Has everyone that has run into troubles with their 37's been running it on 6in+ sized suspension kits?The problem with a 6in is that it puts way too much torque and strain on your U joints, ball joints, tie rods, and axle itself becuase the lift puts them at a stressed out angle. The next question I have is has anyone tried doing 37's on an IFS going with a 4in suspenion and a 3in body lift? The 4in would make the angles really close to stock compared to the 6in+ lifts and the body lift would just accomodate larger tires. If anyone has this set up or knowledge of this set up please share your knowledge. BTW I would be running 37x12.5x17 STT Coopers on Eagle Alloy chrome rims. The rims are 130 each and the tires are only 224 each. What a deal if I can pull this off.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:01 PM
mmstar23
Champion
Default RE: IFS Suspension vs 37's

$224 a piece!!!!??? im looking at like $340 a piece for 35's! ya my rims are 20's but damn thats cheap!!!! speaking of stress will a leveling cause stress or not too much? i have a 3" body and 2.5" leveling kit..going with 35's

Old 04-03-2008, 11:12 PM
RedRam2005
Professional

ORIGINAL: mmstar23

$224 a piece!!!!??? im looking at like $340 a piece for 35's! ya my rims are 20's but damn thats cheap!!!! speaking of stress will a leveling cause stress or not too much? i have a 3" body and 2.5" leveling kit..going with 35's
2.5in leveling kit w/3in body is the way to go if you are going to be mostly on the road. The 2.5 levels out the truck and will help the angles. The 3in body is just that... a body lift. So that just raises the body further up from the suspension. It will give you a little roll and rough ride if you do serious off-roading. But if I had an 06 I would be going w/Top Guns Customz2.5in leveling kit and running 35 Mick Thomp MTZ's.You will have to buy new shocks though. The reason I want the suspenison is because it will ride like stock and come with new shocks, but more importantly a skid plate. Nevertheless 2.5in level with 3in body is a good set up. Romeoville did that on an 06 ram and put 36x13.5 Irok tires on his stock 20's. But I like more tire than rim so I will stick with the 17 and go with the beefy tire. It looks cooler in my opinion + the difference in rimweights will pretty much make up for the tire weights between your 35's and my 37's. What tires were you looking for? I found the 37x12.5x17 Cooper STT's for 224 at onlinetire.com. That is by far the cheapest site that I have found.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:32 PM
mmstar23
Champion

ive looked at a fiew tires man. having a dilemma actually lol. i think i might end up with pro come xtreme A/T. those are 292 a piece with $90 to ship. dick cepek FC-IIs were $340 a piece but have free freight. i cant decide between the 2 tires. i have 1 guy telling me he has seen a lot pro comps that are crap and his friends wont buy them again bc they have terrible tread life and i have to other cummins people (sharx and lil froger) telling me that they love them and will also be the tire when it comes time to replace them. sharx also said he had 45k on them and have 1/4 of the tread left. i dont know man.

red.....ive heard plenty of times 37's on an IFS tear up the front end.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:41 PM
RedRam2005
Professional

Personally I would go with the Dick Cepek FC-II's if I was in that situation. You move into a mud terrain tire. but not an extremely aggressive one. They are fairly quite on the road and they last a long time. Ask HammerZ71 about them... he is running 35x12.5's on his truck with a 4in suspension lift and he loves them. So if you need an opinion on that I would ask him. His favorite tire is that and second is the Mick Thomp MTZ's, which is what I am looking into if I go with 35's. The only problem is that the MTZ's don't have the size you want for a 20in rim so I would stay with the FC-II's probably.

And I have heard many bad things too, but everyone has had a 6in+ sized suspension lift. With all that weight on the suspension and having everything at not great angles it only takes one good sized bump off roading and you are done. I am curious to see if anyone has had luck with the 4in suspension and 3in body though. I think that and 17in rims would help my case alot vs those with 6in+ suspension lifts and 20in tires.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:48 PM
mmstar23
Champion

the guy i was talking to about the FC-II's was hammer. been talking to him for awhile about it. and i mean awhile lol. if you read this hammer....thanks again

Old 04-04-2008, 07:25 PM
RedRam2005
Professional

Yeah Hammer is a very knowledgeable person and I have learned alot from him and many others on this site.

But is anyone running the 4in suspension with 3in body, instead of a 6in+ suspension lift, to run 37's on 17in rims?

Old 04-04-2008, 11:01 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I answered this in your PM. I just noticed the thread you started with the same question, so I have copied my reply to you here as well.

Of all the guys running really big tires on IFS trucks I've seen break down on and off road, I really can't recall seeing anyone not have a 6" suspension lift or a 6" and body combo.
Although I can't seem to recall anyone having a lesser height suspension lift and body combo with big tires either. So, I can't really give you a definitive answer.
I know the CV angle is one of the big factors, but I've also seen other damage done besides the CV's. I used to say that 37's on an IFS was OK if it's a "for looks" truck because the only destroyed front ends I personally saw was off-roading. But I have since heard first hand someone getting flat-bedded in while on vacation on the interstate, so I have re-thought my opinion.

Believe me, if I had to do it all over again I'd buy a 2500 and jack it up high.I use my truck off road (not near as much as I used to but still occasionally) and would love the extra clearance. My old 1500 was a '98 which had a live front axle so, I didn't give any thought to the front ends being radically different when I got my '04. And it's not anything about Dodge IFS trucks, I've seen more busted front ends on Fords than any of them. Had one idiot in hunting season of '06 with a brand new Ford F-150, 8 inches of lift total and I think 38's his Daddy just got him for his 21st birthday. Less than 2k on the truck. Got in the mud, hog hunting and snapped the CV and took out a few other parts. Took two of our trucks and six guys to get him just to where a Flat bed could get at him.

You can try the 4" Suspension and 3" body combo with 37's. Might work, might not. You may just baby your truck enough where someone else might be a little harder on it. I guess it just depends how important having that 37" tire is to you.
If it gets that important to me, I'd sell my 1500 and get a 2500...

Old 04-05-2008, 12:14 AM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

as far as 37+ tires=death..i have had many ifs trucks with 37's even 40's and even 44's on them and hammered the living dog c^&p out of it with no problems and no mods done to the suspention, except for the lift kit of coarse.and i've owned every truck from chevy to ford to dodge and done this.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:40 AM
JD1500
Record Breaker

I would say yes, because that has always been my experience, but that said....

A friend of mine ran 38"s on a 1500 4.7 for 98k before having any front end problems....

Quick Reply: Do 37's on an IFS suspension really = death?