3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Check Engine Light MDS Related

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009 | 08:57 PM
FastFreddy

[quote=lxman1;1853397]Welcome Fred.
This is correct. You can disable it with the Diablosport or SC. They cause few problems that I know of. Just use the recommended 5w20 engine oil and change it regularly.
I only run mine disabled because it sounds like crap with my louder exhaust. [quote]

What are the few problems? Any difference between SC and the Diablo for the problems?

I just changed the oil and ran the recommended 5w20 - do the MDS solenoids run on the oil? Just currious.

I can actually hear the MDS kick in with the Flowmasters - and that is annoying....

I'm leaning towards the SC - just because the tech help here seems to be overwhelming.... or am I missing the Diablo tech here?

Old 10-26-2009 | 09:07 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator

Actually other than this thread about failing solenoids, I haven't really heard of any problems with the system other than the annoying way that it kicks in and out a lot.
It has solenoid valves that channels the oil so that the lifters do not move the valves when the MDS kicks in . It also kills the coils and injectors for those 4 cylinders.

As for Diablosport tech, https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...d-reviews.html

Old 12-29-2010 | 03:58 PM
AmieD

New to the forum....I'm having some issues with my 06 ram...Check engine light came on so i went to Autozone to have them read the code for me...PO3497, went and checked the oil...4 qts low, have no clue as to why....after so many miles the light went off but i continued to have issues, a slight knocking noise coming from under the hood as well as the rpm's jumping around on me....They will go from the 1000 up to the 2000 and will bounce back and forth for a few mins. Today on my way into work the rmp thing happened again and the check engine light came back on with the same code PO3497, I checked the oil level and I am full and good to go. I'm getting really stressed out with this issue and just need some insight from some one who knows more about this issue than me. Please can any body help???

Old 12-29-2010 | 04:50 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User

Your code could be intermitent failure of the cylinder deactivation due to dirty oil that has possibly left some deposits behind. You can clean out your engine by substituting 1qt of Marvel Mystery oil in place of 1qt of motor oil for the last 500 miles of your oil change. I would not run it on an entire oil change as you might have some activation issues along the way because the MDS feature is very sensitive to oil weights/viscosities, but the Marvel oil will clean up the engine very well in that short of a period.

Make sure you are using 5w-20 and NOTHING else or you'll continue to have problems.

Old 12-30-2010 | 07:49 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Also at 4 qrts low of only 7 qrts max, I would be concerned with premature internal damage and wear. Only having 3 qrts in there is pretty low.

Old 03-16-2013 | 10:13 AM
Ttristan

I realize this is an old thread but I have a question, My light came on and is throwing the same code so i turned off the MDS with my Diablo Tuner and the light turned off. If I continue to run the truck like this can i damage the engine more while im waiting to have it fixed? Or will turning it off fix the issue i just wont have MDS anymore?

Old 03-16-2013 | 05:09 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

I don't think turning MDS off will hurt anything. I do wonder that what's throwing the code is an indicator of more problems. And BTW, MDS has NOTHING to do with shifting. It won't engage during acceleration or higher loads.

Old 03-23-2013 | 11:15 PM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran

Originally Posted by FastFreddy
ok - forgive my ignorance here... I'm a newbie... had my 06 Quad cab now for almost 2 weeks. I bought from my sister as a lease turn in - so I am without warranty, and worry about the MDS failures... if I get a Superchip or Diablo - I can disable this and never have to worry about this right? And also benefit by tuning for either performance, gas mpg, or even towing modes with the tuner right?

Thanks in advance!
Fred
Definitely get a tuner and turn off the MDS crap. I've had mine off for about 4 years now and it was the best thing I ever did. Make sure if you buy a tuner, that it will disable the mds. I originally had a superchips, that wouldn't disable MDS, then went to a Diablosport. I guess some of the newer s/c tuners will disable it. I ran mostly interstate miles and saw little if any gains in milage using MDS

Old 02-02-2014 | 08:31 PM
CJ7 Troy
Amateur

If I am already getting p3400 code, do I need to have that fixed before turning off MDS or can I just turn it off and be OK ?

Old 05-03-2022 | 11:03 PM
Ryder06Hemi

Originally Posted by CJ7 Troy
If I am already getting p3400 code, do I need to have that fixed before turning off MDS or can I just turn it off and be OK ?
​​​​​I have the same question and can't find answers. My MDS solenoid is bad and was wondering if I could just turn it off using a tuner or would it need replaced before?

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light MDS Related