3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

factory hitch removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008 | 06:20 PM
seandee
|
Default factory hitch removal

Hello everyone,
I am new here so please help. I have a 2004 dodge ram1500 I want to put on a poll pan I just bought from LMC and I see that he factory hitch looks like a part of the truck. I took all the bolts out and it was still as solid as before. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove it? I thank you for any help anyone can give.

Old 04-07-2008 | 07:04 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Default RE: factory hitch removal

give it to me.

Old 04-07-2008 | 09:58 PM
daytona1680
Veteran

you will need to loosen the bolts in the bed the whole way out then thread them back in like 4 turns, then get 2 people to lift up the back of the bed or a jack and place it under the bed and jack up the back end of the bed, then grab your hitch and lift it up(mine had 2 pins in the yop of it) and slide it out.

Old 04-08-2008 | 12:30 PM
seandee
|

Thank you Daytona 1680. I though that was what I was going to have to do. That sucks!!! Do you have any Idea on hoe long the pins were. I am just wondering becuse I have a bedliner I hope I dont need to remove that as well. I am going to toss that piece of crap hitch in the trash when I am through.

Old 04-08-2008 | 02:13 PM
daytona1680
Veteran

ORIGINAL: seandee

Thank you Daytona 1680. I though that was what I was going to have to do. That sucks!!! Do you have any Idea on hoe long the pins were. I am just wondering becuse I have a bedliner I hope I dont need to remove that as well. I am going to toss that piece of crap hitch in the trash when I am through.
Its not bad, sounds worse than what it is. I dont see any reason why would have to remove the bedliner, the bed bolts on from the bottom. I think the pins were about 1" long, just long enough to sit down inside the frame and keep it from sliding out without lifting the bed. If the hitch is still good I would sell it, I have seen them go on e-bay for about $40; dont seem like much but better than nothing. After I took mine off I had a guy offer my $75 for it but im keeping mine fo future use.

Old 04-14-2008 | 08:31 PM
BLACKNBLUE

dude i had the same question thanks for the advice

Old 04-14-2008 | 08:38 PM
oefootball_70
Champion

don't throw it away. Give it to me.

Old 04-20-2008 | 12:49 PM
seandee
|

Thank you for all of the help I took you advise and the hitch came off. Great. I then put the roll pan on and it looks good. I installed a 4-6 kit on the truck and it took a little to get it done. I found out after I put the kit on, when I went ot put the front tires back on the lower ball joint wes rubbing on the wheel after I had already cut it per the instructions. But I got it done.also I want to make the truck sit level can I use a 1inch block to bring it down level with the front. What is this power wire I have been herring about.

Old 05-09-2009 | 06:57 PM
Terez
Default hitch removal

Are the 2005 QC Ram 4x4 the same too?
I have to loosen the box bolts and lift the box to slide the hitch out?
Fawkin' brilliant design!!!

No probs with the gas tank neck or other parts when doing this?

Do you need to do the same sillyness when installing a aftermarket hitch?

I have the OEM receiver hitch on my 05 and it bent from a very light backing up jacknife ! POS.
Going to replace it with a Reese or Drawtite style.
I think the style that exposes the crossbar under the bumper and incorporates the hitch box into the crossbar are stronger?

Quick Reply: factory hitch removal