3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sub enclosure box

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 06:11 AM
DaHipaKea1313
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub enclosure box

Hey all 2 questions

1. Does anyone know why they use particle board or press board to build a Sub box? I have access to a lot of scrap plywood all of different thicknesses so I can build it out of that. Or stick with the particle/press board

2. Second one is there a specific set of blueprints to build one of these boexs for under the back seat of a QC area?? Or does anyone have these on digits that I could get? Thanks

Old 04-11-2008, 07:30 AM
satansfx
Default RE: Sub enclosure box

1) Not particle board, but MDF.... The reason we use it for sub boxes is because is more dense, thus keeping the resonating down. You can use birch plywood if you wanted that woodgrain look, But I wouldn't recomend it.

2) I looked all over cyber to see if I could find one, but no luck. There are so many angled cuts, that it would drive you insane. You really need a CNC machine to make the box for you. Check on ebay. I got my box for 75.00 + 30 S&H and that seems to be the cheapest one online. Plus you have your option of 10" or 12". Either way it's the same price.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:47 AM
BRINKLEY
Professional

I built a box for my previous QC and it was a pain in the ****. If I had to do it again I would buy one on ebay. I finally finished it, but it took way too much time. There are too many angles and you have to take advantage of every bit of space you can under the seat to get the most airspace you can so you can't avoid all the angles. I would suggest going with 10's because there isn't enough room for the right amount of airspace for 12's, unless you raise the seats. Get good quality 10's and they will sound just as good as the 12's.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:55 AM
outbreak
Rookie

I made one for my '04 quad cab but didn't modify it when I got my '07 QC because of the 2 piece seat. I'm headed to Iraq for a year and figured I'd mess with it when I got back. Well, the A.F. put it in storage and now that my deployment got pushed back 4 months, I will have to pay $150 to get it out. If I end up getting it out, I will let you know what I did.

I had a good time making it, as I enjoy that stuff.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:58 AM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

For the money vs headache, maybe these will help ya out a bit.
http://cgi.ebay.com/DODGE-RAM-Quad-C...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-...spagenameZWDVW

Old 04-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Hemichief
Veteran

I think at the end of the day you may be better off fabricating one out of fiberglass. You will get better airspace and it is easier to mold for under the seat. I had one fabricated for me (it cost me $125.00) for a 10" sub, but it is worth every penny I spent on it.

I throught about building one but like all the guys said... it is very time consuming.

Let us know which way you go.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:17 AM
DaHipaKea1313
Veteran

Thanks guys I'm here now in Iraq and I thought about building one here and then maybe fiberglassing it on the outside. Again thanks for the info. I'll probably just breakdown and buy one. I hate doing that If I can do nit myself, I'll do it. Stay cool, H

Old 04-11-2008, 11:28 AM
BRINKLEY
Professional

I'm the same way, I like doing things myself too. But trust me, unless you are an expert cabinet maker or carpenter, buy one. I did was a carpenter for 5 years and enjoyed it, but did not enjoy building the box for under the seat. And I have always enjoyed building boxes for my vehicles.... not this one. I did just build a boxto replace my center console for my truck though, and I enjoyed it, so its not that I don't enjoy work like that, but that the box is too complicated with all the focking angles. anyway, good luck with whatever you do.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Hemipwr07
Veteran

i thought about building one but im not too handy with that stuff. so i just googled it and bought one that works great for like 80 bucks.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:21 PM
hollywood703

I just made mine a free air box....had an 03 QC and just traced out the pattern of the under seat, then screwed it into the metal......it wasnt professional but it looked good sounded good and cost me under $20. mine was 2 10's, 12's magnets hit the bottom or the woofer hit the seat on throw. I have built many boxes, mostly rectangular or square......but a true box for this space is a nightmare. I have not worked with fiberglass enough or i would have used it for the bottom., then wrapped it over my wood that I cut out for it. make sure you make the fiberglass nice and thick, to avoid cracking. When i got my 08, I decided not to reinstall this stuff. Unfortunately i never thought to get pictures of it installed before my 30 minute cleanout when i needed to trade my 03in.

Quick Reply: Sub enclosure box