3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

water infiltration in differentials

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 12:17 AM
SDPOWERWAGON
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water infiltration in differentials

HiDodge owners!
I'm new to off-road and I have a question for you guys with experience .
I want to know if3rd Gen.Power Wagon's differentials and transfer case could have water infiltration problems riding deep water .

My uncle experienced problems this winter with his 06 Sierra 2500 4x4 (not because it's a GM) last spring of07he got stuck inwater with waterover the carpet in themiddle of the cab, thendid not engaged the 4x4 for the summer .
In December07, no 4x4thenhis truck spent alot of time at the dealerbecause ofmoisture in diffs. and t-case.

I justwant to know if those Dana's are sealed or if I need to change oil every time Igo troughtwater.

Thanks for your time andinfo [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 04-16-2008, 01:25 AM
RamItOne
Default RE: water infiltration in differentials

where I live we have high water crossings all the time, I'll make my serpentine belt squeal like a pig and haven't had any issues with my diffs. I used to be worried bout it but dont have any issues now. They make clear rear diffs, made out of bullet proof plastic so you could see there. If you really are worried, next time you plan on changing the fluid either tap a second hole or buy a new cover with a drain hole and just drain it see if there's any water in the pan and then pump it back in. I use amsoil severe gear 100k mile rating so I dont waste it. One thing to consider is figuring out how to keep our rubber caps tight. The quickest way you could do it is weld a straighten out hose clamp over the cap so you can tighten it down and then loosen it up to refill. I don know just pulled that one out of my ****. But like I said I haver had any issues. I would use rtv instead of a gasket.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:36 AM
Ben D.
Champion

general rule of thumb at least for most jeep guys is any time that diff is fully under water it's time for a fluid change. none of them are sealed if they go deep enough because most have breathers. I'm active on a jeepforum and we always say change fluids after anything like that. It's not a flaw in the design of diffs it's just something you do anytime that you know water may have gotten in.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:43 AM
RamItOne

our front diffs have a breather, its a tube that goes up into your engine bay so doubt that'll be soaked.

In the rainy season I'll go through high water 6-10 times a week, sometimes 5 in a day. A lot of times when the road closed signs have been put up. There's no way I would replace em each time.
Besides if my teeth rust that'll be a good excuse to get new gears and an arb auto locker.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:30 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the breather supposed to do? That seems too weird to me -- gotta worry 'bout water in the diffs?

Old 04-16-2008, 04:46 PM
RamItOne

Every differential has a breather. It is usually just a vent to the outside air, covered by a cap that helps keep debris out. It is there to equalize the pressure in the axle as the temperature within the axle changes. Without a breather, or if your breather is clogged, the pressure that builds up inside the axle housing will most likely push gear oil past your pinion or axle seals.
havent looked for the breather on the rear, but the front has an actual tube sticking out that come up near the battery...

Old 04-16-2008, 11:53 PM
SDPOWERWAGON

Thanks guys, I appreciate !

Old 04-16-2008, 11:55 PM
RamItOne

just wait till you see your MPG..

Old 04-17-2008, 12:58 AM
Ben D.
Champion

when you say high water do you mean just some puddles or do you mean high water that's like above the bumpers. no kidding you won't change it after some deep puddles but if you drive it through some deep as mud/water bog where ur up to ur bumpers in stuff then yea u need to change it. gear oil is what maybe 40 bucks big whoop

Old 04-17-2008, 01:17 AM
RamItOne

oh just 1 inch puddles.... its a lil different out in the real world vs a bog or course with others around you....
where im at its all limestone so water wont go in the ground..
first pic, usually its a dry creek bed...

second pic is a washed out road, took 15 ft of flood water to just crest it.

last pic car got stuck..

[IMG]local://upfiles/80693/B627EE8B5E6C4C85B3338AA6B3B09B0E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/80693/B76DACF38A9040BB9BDD50B199558377.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/80693/8B9B8F114B9B4F108199F196DEC5818B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/80693/8C145B72ABD34FC986F601D93A99380B.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: water infiltration in differentials