3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: A poll
Front License Plate
34.78%
No Front License Plate
65.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

...Front License Plates.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 05:38 PM
RamItOne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ...Front License Plates.....

well think about how the red light cameras work. ??? Hrm light bulb.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:06 PM
quadr8cr08

Oklahoma DOESN'T require em. I boughtmy truckin TX ,it already had it on there.So I slapped my OU plate on instead,hehe

Old 04-21-2008, 06:32 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The headlights are the biggest reflector of radar (radio) and light (laser). The presence of a reflective tag on the front is strictly for revenue enhancement. Apparently, tags are about twice as much in Virginia as they are in Florida (my tag, minus the "Challenger" add-on) runs about $44 a year. Someone in Virginia can tell us what they pay for a tag. New Yorkers can jump in, too. Other "two-tag" victims can elaborate, I'm sure.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:03 PM
ivaskaj
Veteran

In my opinion, the government has no business requiring you to put a piece of taxed metal on your personal property, be it on the front or back. I personally would not live in a **** state that required a front plate... I couldn't run my stars & bars.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:22 PM
synrgy

Texas requires the front and I believe my registration was $61 each for the Tahoe and Ram. They give you new plates like every 5 or so years and when you renew every year you get a sticker that goes on the driver side windshield with the month of expiration and they are color coded.
Live in Conroe and work in Houston down Jersey Village way and the police will use the no tag as a reason to pull you over and it is a pretty hefty fine. Couple guys at work just got one at the first of the month (guess they trying to make their quota early )

Old 04-21-2008, 07:25 PM
jstmahoney
Captain

In Cali we have to pay for tags every year. Just tags on the rear plate. The prices are outrageous if you have a newer car. My Ram is about $350 and I get a bit of a discount cause it's regestered as "commercial". It goes down as your cars get older, but i know someone who just bought a new car...it was $875 to register it. My Older ride, like my 14 year old Chevy is still $50 a year. Smog every 2 years for cars that are older than 1970(new cars have to be 4 or 5 yrs old to smog). At this point i am really fed up with this state at this point, and wish i could move...

Old 04-21-2008, 07:38 PM
HighDuke1911
Champion

in cali we just paid $430 last month. thats what we pay per year. i dont know anything about it going down though... lol. but they require front plates here. it doesnt bother me that i have em on, it just looks better without.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:00 PM
RamItOne

ORIGINAL: ivaskaj

In my opinion, the government has no business requiring you to put a piece of taxed metal on your personal property, be it on the front or back. I personally would not live in a **** state that required a front plate... I couldn't run my stars & bars.
youre a moron right? the government should also not require drivers licenses to drive, have any traffic laws or traffic lights....hell why even put down lane markers.... it just so happens that piece of personal property is on city property 98% of the time......

Old 04-21-2008, 08:58 PM
RAM0447
Professional

ORIGINAL: hemiyellow

Iowa reuires em, michigan doesnt....when i still lived in Iowa, i took the plate and bracket off and never got a ticket in 1 1/2 yrs....i like it much better without, cops still haven't said anything when i go back home
Where do you live in Iowa? Use to live in bettendorf (Quad cities). They are really getting on to people with no front plates and front window tint now. My buddies and I would get tickets all the time for no front plates and dark tint on the front windows because we liked the look so much. Now instead of a tint ticket costing 35 (got 4 of them), they now cost $75 dollars (friend told me). SO now they all put there plates back on and window tint off lol. ANyway, I have holes in my bumper and just the bracket on. They don't require them here in kentucky, but i'll just put a harley plate on front since the bracket is on anyway.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Petz
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a new system going into police cars is a license plate reckognition software system. Basically it can read a plate (car direction does not matter) and run a background check in a split second. I predict more and more states going to require a front plate. More $ which both and also a money maker for city, county, and state govt.

Personally i hate the front plate and my dad just got a vette in cali. He has decided that he is not going to put a plate on the front and just pay the fine. Many vette owners are doing the same. Did you know the seat belt law in Okieland is $20. does not go on your insurance record and is 20 regardless of how many times you get pulled over. whats the incentive of following that law (besides going thru a windshield or being ejected from the truck).

Quick Reply: ...Front License Plates.....