3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Acetone increasing MPG ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 09:20 PM
08sxt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Acetone increasing MPG ?

ORIGINAL: MikeHTally

You're going to put a gas/acetone mixture on your property for purposes of experimentation? Will this duplicate the pressure/heat/flow rate of gasoline in a fuel system? What's the point?
Well, unfortunately I don't happen to have a chemical lab, engine dyno, or test equipment designed to measure cylinder pressure or tempratures out in my garage...so I guess anything I find out or learn in my garage will not be useful to you. So because of that I guess "the point" of what I am going to do is to find out first hand what happens to rubber fuel system components when they are exposed to a diluted mixture of acetone. If the hose swells up, falls apart, turns the gas black, then I guess that proves something. I didn't say I was going to revolutionize the design of all future vehicles.....just doing a little hands on "what happens if" because I am curious.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:32 PM
jortiz9758
Rookie

I agree with the above post. Obviously No one here(at leastI hope not) is going to go run out and pour acetone in their tank for ****s and giggles. It would be nice however to hear from some people who have tried it on maybe a spare vehicle who were willing to take the risk.

I for one have a 2005 Chevy malibu that has a tranny going bad (banged up a bit)and just sits around. I will do some more research and try it on that vehicle.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:54 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been watching this thread with some interest. I happen to know a bit about this particular chemical and can say for a fact thet Acetone is corrosive. Acetone is a member of the Keytone family of like chemicals and has been used for such applications as solvents,paint thinners,and nail polish remover. Acetone will deteriorate rubber lines and O-rings. Pouring even a small amount in your fuel will not bond the Acetone molecule with the petrolium molecule, allowind the acetone to do its damage on the rubber. Even tho the mixture is diluted, the molecule remains un changed and can only be changed with compatable molecules.

Check out Myth Busters, season 4, episode 53 and you will see their results. To paraphrase, a LOSS in fuel economy and shorter engine life.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From Wikepida:

[edit] Automotive fuel additive
Some automotive enthusiasts add acetone at around 1 part in 500 to their fuel, following claims of dramatic improvement in fuel economy and engine life.[3] This practice is controversial as the body of systematic testing shows that acetone has no measurable effect or may in fact reduce engine life by adversely affecting fuel system parts.[4][5][6] Debates on this subject and the perrenial claims of a "Big Oil" cover-up intensified when the practice was addressed on the popular American TV show MythBusters in 2006, and shown to have negative effect in the televised fuel economy test.[7].

Old 04-23-2008, 11:27 PM
De pinga!
Professional

yeah but do you really think the government is gonna let someone announce on public tv aceteone can save you lots of money on gas and take away money from them? i doubt it. The government is all a scam... im not saying it works cuz i dont know...ive read a lot about this subject nad i see more claims than no claims... the government will lose billions ans billions of dollars each year cuz of this... they are NOT gonna announce it. Just like they said smoking weed used to make people suicidal and kmake you kill people... they can easily pay "the mythbusters" to simply... lie. We're talkin major bucks here.. think about it. It just may work... but ill wait till it a proven fact before even thinking about adding acetone to my truck. Hope this gets cleared up soon.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:14 AM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

****, i'll try it.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:18 AM
HighDuke1911
Champion

you will? nah dude!! dont risk it till more research is done. lol.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:19 AM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

warranty. i mean, this acetone stuff can't be worse than gas itself?

lol...my trucks gonan explode tomorrow.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:19 AM
HighDuke1911
Champion

ahahahaha. go for it dude and tell us how it goes (after a few thousand miles).

Old 04-24-2008, 12:22 AM
De pinga!
Professional

lol smash man your crazy dude..

Quick Reply: Acetone increasing MPG ?