3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Acetone increasing MPG ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 07:15 PM
08sxt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acetone increasing MPG ?

I have heard and read a lot about adding pure acetone to your gas tank will increase MPG. Most say adding about 2 oz of acetone per 10 gal of gas has increased their gas mileage anywhere between 15% - 35%. There are a lot of articles that I found through google and a couple of tests on you tube on the subject. What are your opinions on this, has anyone here tried it yet?

Old 04-23-2008, 07:34 PM
RamItOne
Default RE: Acetone increasing MPG ?

there have been threads on this. most say itll eat up your lines..

Old 04-23-2008, 07:40 PM
red06RAM
All Star

I wouldn't do it.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:46 PM
08sxt

ORIGINAL: red06RAM

I wouldn't do it.

That's the jist of the thread.....why wouldn't you try it?

Old 04-23-2008, 07:53 PM
RamItOne

mainly cause of the risk to fuel lines and filter

Old 04-23-2008, 08:06 PM
08sxt

Don't get me wrong, I am not going to run out and put some in my 2008 tonight. But a lot of these people writing these articles have said that testing with rubber parts designed from fuel systems (hose, o-rings, etc) have found that using the recommended amounts of acetone (1-4 oz per 10 gals of gas) shows absolutely no deterioration to the hoses and o-rings over a long period of time. Now, that being said, using double the recommended amount has shown decreased MPG and some swelling of the rubber fuel parts. Also, obviously there will be different results using good automotive grade fuel hose (like used on our trucks) compared to a piece of old rubber hose that you dug out of the corner of the garage. I am going to set up my own little expariments with soaking some rubber hose and o-rings in a gas/acetone mix and see what happens.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:07 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup, very bad idea. Just google it, then you will understand.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:28 PM
red06RAM
All Star

All I mean is that I will not be the first to try that. If someone tries it I'd like to see the results.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:58 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're going to put a gas/acetone mixture on your property for purposes of experimentation? Will this duplicate the pressure/heat/flow rate of gasoline in a fuel system? What's the point?

Old 04-23-2008, 09:13 PM
08sxt

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...00069_Acetone/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=van5VmJ1yno

Here are a couple links on the subject.

26 gals of gas is the same as 3,328 oz. They are only saying to put about 8 ounces of acetone in a full 26 gal tank. The acetone would be so diluted that I can't see your rubber fuel lines and o-rings just disapearing from your vehicle due to this very small amount of acetone mixed with the gas (8oz of acetone in 3,320 oz of gas). Again, there is a huge difference between what a pure unmixed chemical can do to rubber as opposed to what such a diluted amount of that chemical can do to a piece of rubber.

Now, with that being said......again 8 oz in a 3,328 oz tank isn't very much at all. So that kinda makes me wonder and question how much benifit in MPG you would see from this relitively small amount of acetone mixed with your gas. Some people on various posts and websites are trying it, most report increased fuel mileage......so far I haven't read any that says "trying this f-ed up my car".

Again, I am not saying that this stuff is "proven" yet or that there is no chance what so ever of adverse side effects. It just bugs me that people automatically assume something that haven't heard of before must be bad or that there is no chance it actually works...... I am not trying to start an argument or step on anyone's toes....just trying to start a discussion, get some different opinions, and spark some thought on this.

Quick Reply: Acetone increasing MPG ?