3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Buying truck, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:13 AM
sirmarsh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying truck, need advice

Hello all. Been reading this forum for a few days. Everyone seems very helpful!

I'm thinking of buying this truck in the pics. What is your advice on this? Looks abused?
it's at local dealer for 15K with 42K miles.

http://images.autotrader.com/images/..._A.562x421.jpg
http://images.autotrader.com/images/..._A.240x180.jpg
http://images.autotrader.com/images/..._A.240x180.jpg

thanks all, this will be my 1st truck, and I plan on doing mudding and back trails mostly. I drive a 03 MC ss for my daily driver.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:00 AM
StevenMoffettKY
Veteran
Default RE: Buying truck, need advice

NICE TRUCK! Kinda lets me know what mine would look like lifted and with some fender flares on it.... AND I LIKE! What year is that, an 05 or 06? And why do you say looks abused, looks fine from the pictures. But give it a good test drive and get it inspected by a trusted mechanic. Looks like a nice buy. Let us know what happens!

Old 04-27-2008, 10:47 AM
sirmarsh

Thanks for the reply

It's an 03.
The only question i have, is in 1 of the pics, it looks like the drive shaft is a bit low? I cant see the back one, so i was just wondering if that was ok.

What do you think about he price? 42K miles @ 15,500 is what the dealer wants. I can hopefully have him come down a few.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:41 PM
ray97
Veteran

I don't think that is to bad of a price considering the rims and tires that are on there. What motor does it have, cause I don't see the hemi badge on the front but it could have been removed because of the flares. I would KBB and see what it says as far as price goes, and go from there. And as Stevenmoffettky said have it checked out by a good mech. Good luck and let us know what happens

Old 04-27-2008, 12:46 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

about that front diveshaft...doesn't seem to be an issue. i mean, it can't be "too low" if it runs, ya know?

anyways, as for price - the bluebook value of that beast is just under $13000...assuming it is in "excellent" consition and i selected all the right options. hard tonnaeu, 4.7, cd player, premium alloy wheels, oversize tires, opening rear window.

kbb.com and see for yourself. anyways, he's asking for a bit more than bluebook...but at same time he has that lift on there.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:57 PM
07 Ram TRX4
Captain

I thought most dealers used the NADA guide for value... I 'm not tryin to seem like an *** about it.... But i know everydealer i've been to uses it...

Old 04-27-2008, 01:01 PM
cddailey
Veteran

you can always talk them down. looks really nice. probably close to value because of year but miles and stuff looks nice. i would go to like 13,500 or 14. see what they say.a lot of times if you walk then they will knock the price down. before i bought mine i almost bought a 4x4 night runner but i thought it was over priced so i walked and they called me 2 days later and took another $1000 off. but i bought my 2wd the day before they called. wasnt gonna buy anyway because they told me when i was there the price was the lowest they could go and then they knock off $1k so thats just bad customer service.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:40 PM
sirmarsh

It's got the 5.7 HEMI in it.

KBB puts it @ 18K for used retail
NADA puts it at around 17,500$ for retail.

I figured since it has pretty much has everything I would do to a ram, I dont mind paying an even 14K. I'll offer them that and see how it plans out. I'llet you know how it goes in the ext few days. problem is, its 240miles from me, so...not sure what is the best game plan to take.

Drive 240miles and try to play hard-ball with the truck of my dreams?
Or just chuck it up to all the mods already doneand pay the sticker?

Old 04-27-2008, 06:00 PM
thehemiman12345
All Star

I would say try for 14k....try to use the mods to your advantage, mention that you would have done a few things different/you dont like something that was done to it. That might help get the price down a bit....

Old 04-27-2008, 06:47 PM
StevenMoffettKY
Veteran

A couple things. One, do not let them know that you are coming from so far away to consider their truck, it'll make you seem more "bought into" it and could cause them to be less flexible price wise. Also, do not let them know what your budget is, or a monthly payment you are looking to afford. Be firm and assertive with your price. And find a common ground from there. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Buying truck, need advice