3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

engine died!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 09:19 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts
Default RE: engine died!

ORIGINAL: Flip

ORIGINAL: magnethead

umm..how much fuel was in the tank? fuel pickup might be getting dried from the fuel getting sloshed away from it.
I'm not sure. But this should not be happening??? Does anybody have an answer to this problem??
It's unlikely, but depending on the amount of fam in the tank, it could be getting all shloshed around.

From what i've observed, it's been happening when the vechicles are making turns or going up grades. I'm thinking that the fuel is getting thrown around by a mixture of gravity and G-forces, causing the fuel pickup to go dry.

Old 02-10-2005, 11:35 PM
Flip
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Flip

umm..how much fuel was in the tank? fuel pickup might be getting dried from the fuel getting sloshed away from it.
I'm not sure. But this should not be happening??? Does anybody have an answer to this problem??
It's unlikely, but depending on the amount of fam in the tank, it could be getting all shloshed around.

From what i've observed, it's been happening when the vechicles are making turns or going up grades. I'm thinking that the fuel is getting thrown around by a mixture of gravity and G-forces, causing the fuel pickup to go dry.
can you imagine what would happen if you're making a turn onto a busy intersection and your engine dies
somebody's gotta know a fix to this problem.... anyone??

Old 02-11-2005, 02:26 AM
motomotoman

I have a 2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab - it does not have the Hemi motor but I was having the same problem. I would come to a light, pull into a parking spot, go through an intersection and it would just die. It was at the dealership 6 times and they changed sensors, seals in the transmission and reset the idle. Nothing seemed to help it was getting worse. They finally flew a rep. in from Dodge and it stalled on him. He said it was the Torque converter. They put in a new transmission and transfer case and so far so good. It has not stalled yet. I hope this helps you.

Old 02-11-2005, 09:20 AM
Flip

ORIGINAL: motomotoman

I have a 2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab - it does not have the Hemi motor but I was having the same problem. I would come to a light, pull into a parking spot, go through an intersection and it would just die. It was at the dealership 6 times and they changed sensors, seals in the transmission and reset the idle. Nothing seemed to help it was getting worse. They finally flew a rep. in from Dodge and it stalled on him. He said it was the Torque converter. They put in a new transmission and transfer case and so far so good. It has not stalled yet. I hope this helps you.
Thanks for the info. I have a 2005 Quad cab also with the Hemi. I will let the dealer know about the Torque converter when I go see them again for the 3rd time. I'm really getting frustrated when they tell you that there's nothing wrong with it.

Old 02-11-2005, 10:06 AM
wreckless

I have a 2005 Quad Cab Hemi 250HD that also will stall when backing up with the wheel turned sharply. Seems to happen intermittently.

Old 02-11-2005, 03:03 PM
Flip

Is dodge aware of this problem???? and what are they doing about it...

Old 02-14-2005, 01:41 AM
KMG_TX

I had this problem with my '03, mostly dying at low RPMs expecially on a hill.. and also just randomly strolling through a busy interestions ^_^ .... I took it to the dealership they told me it may be dirty fuel lines/injectors.. mind you it only has 20k on it. After they cleaned those they found it didn't fix the problem, so they replaced a "chip" and everything works fine.. covered under warranty of course. all i know about it, hope this helps

Old 02-14-2005, 02:03 AM
ddgluck

I called the dealer on Friday, explained my problem, and asked if anyone else had reported the issue. I got the response I was expecting. They said no, they had never heard of this before. The tech told me to run a few more tanks of gas through the system, and see if it the problem persist. Since it's only happened once, I'm going to take their advice.

I'll keep everone posted...

Seems like this is a common problem, does anyone know how to escalate this to Dodge? This could be a potential disaster...sharp turn, no power --OUCH

-dg

Old 02-14-2005, 11:37 PM
Flip

I'm still waiting for the senior technician at the dealership to get back to me. I sent him all the links including this thread and on other forums as well. ..hopefully i'll get an answer soon.

Old 02-15-2005, 02:47 AM
Red Ram Hemi 2005
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never had that happen to me, going down, up, turning, backing up and turing, nothing. Tried all of what you guys have put in here and nothing.

Quick Reply: engine died!