3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

engine died!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 01:16 AM
zee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: engine died!

Hi all. I developed this same problem within the last few days. I have 9K on my 04 HEMI 1500. Every 5th or 6th time that I roll up to a stop sign or light the engine will lightly shudder and then stall. Truck starts right up again perfectly. Gas tank is full so I don't think it could be a fuel pump pick up problem. I hope we can find a fix for this problem.

Old 02-26-2005, 05:03 PM
my01camaro

I have a 2005 SLT quad cab 4 x 4 with hemi and it is dying on me. Doesn't even have 5000 miles yet and has died about four times while at idle and in drive. Also having a light tranny slip problem. It is going to the dealer on Tuesday for inspection.

Old 02-26-2005, 06:42 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

we haven't had this problem in ours yet with 2600 miles.

Old 03-01-2005, 05:32 PM
my01camaro

Ok, went to the dealership today because the truck has more frequently continued to die while at an idle and in drive. Initially the morons tried to tell me it was my after market cat back exhaust and there wasn't enough back pressure. I new that was wrong and told them I am not an idiot. They couldn't recreate the problem so nothing was done. I pulled out of the dealership and went two blocks down the road and waited at a light and what do ya know, died again. I went back to the dealership and demanded that a service tech, a different guy, ride with me with the computer tester hooked up to look for problems. It worked. I didn't get the truck to die again for them, but I did get it to surge and drop the rpms and almost die. During this cycle the APP sensor (accelerator pedal pressure), which is part of the fly by wire system was sending some weird voltage signals when it wasn't supposed to. There is no check engine light so that is the starting point. The part is on order and should be here in a week. I then took the truck to another dealership for a second opinion and they said to start there also and let them know next time if it happens again. I posted this to give you guys a starting point or possible solution to your problem and mine. Let me know if you haven't had this part checked yet.

Old 03-02-2005, 03:47 AM
zee

my01camaro. thanks for the heads up. am taking my 04 hemi in tomorrow morning. been scouring the web for possible problems/solutions and your post is the one that seems the most probable to me at this point. when i stopped by at the dealership earlier today to schedule my appt i was crossing the street and saw a tech in an 04 hemi that was just revving the engine like crazy. i asked him if by any chance he was trying to fix a stalling problem. of course to no surprise of yours or mine he said "yes". funny that the dealer service dept says that they've never heard of this problem yet the techs are obviously struggling with it. he said he was driving the truck around for a 1/2 hour trying to get it to put up some codes but nada. i'll be sure to mention the APP sensor you speak of first thing. thanks for the help. hopefully we can all get this resolved b/c obviously this is out of control. fyi, i drove my truck for about an hour today and got it to stall a total of 18 times. how can daimler chrysler claim they know nothing of this?

Old 03-02-2005, 01:21 PM
my01camaro

The problem is the '05 is to new. there were plenty of service bulletins for '04, make sure you ask the dealership about it. My truck is to new and there have been no recalls or service bulletins to date. The APP sensor was working, but the voltages were off. It was reading voltage when it shouldn't have and when it did read voltage, it wasn't the right range of voltage. To be safe the tech guy ordered one for me anyways. I will let you all know how it goes. It isn't expected for delivery until March 7th.

Old 03-07-2005, 02:18 AM
gerardo5566

after fueling once my rpms went up by themselves and made a weird noise,then a couple of weeks later after i fueled up the rpms just dropped to 0 and the engine died,turned back on but took it to the dealership,and they updated the software,whatever in the hell that means,but it hasnt done it since,hopefully it dont.well hope this helps.

Old 03-07-2005, 09:35 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

I too have had my HEMI die on me a couple of times for no apparent reason. But I havent bothered to take it in yet, I'm always afraid of what the monkees at the dealership are going to screw up while fixing this particular issue. As long as it doesnt die on me in the middle of an intersection like some of you guys, I aint taken it back to the dealer. But I also get a shudder sometimes when driving around so it could have something to do with the torque converter and/or transmission, but thats what that 100,000 extended warranty I bought is for!

Old 02-09-2006, 01:32 PM
swgbass

The last post on this "dying" issue was in March/05. While I was relieved to see others have had this same problem, nobody ever posted an update as to what the solution to the problem was. Has anybody found a cause or solution for this issue? I have a 04 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport with 37500 miles on it. In the past (3) days the truck has died on me while driving down the road and in intersections. Yesterday I almost got hit in an intersection because it died while going through oncoming traffic. The truck always starts right back up without a problem. Also, there is no "missing" or hesitation problems. As of yet the "check engine" light has not come on. I called my dealer and she advised that I bring it in but she stated that if they could not get the engine to die while they have it - that they most likely will not be able to diagnose or fix the problem. Surely they have some record of this occuring as these same issues are scattered all over the web.

Any info would be greatly appreciated regarding a possible cause or solution to this issue.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:55 PM
wildneg
Rookie

Well, I got a 05 I just bought, and I hope to god I don't start getting these problems. Odd thing is, I just got rid of my Stratus, 2004, R/T with the 2.8 Magnum I think was the motor size (not sure?). I hit a deer and felt unsafe, so I traded it in for a Ram 1500, but what is extremely interesting is I had this same problem in that car. If I came to a stop to fast (stopped really fast), it would die out sometimes @ the light once I came to a stop. If I turn really sharp, it would die. Did it more when it was warmer out. In winter, it rarely happened. Summer? It happened a lot. Mainly when I was backing up and turning. Then started doing it when i was going forward and turning. And like others, when your turning left at a huge busy intersection (AND DON'T HAVE A GREEN ARROW LIGHT), and your trying to find a gap to turn, and your car dies? heh... ya, not good. Never thought anything of this.

But one reason I did want to get rid of that Stratus. Thought it was just some major problem and would only lead to more. I really hope I don't get that same problem in this Dodge Ram. Though I find it extremely weird that I had this same problem in my Car? Very interesting :/ But its the SAME problem.

-- K

Quick Reply: engine died!