3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

engine died!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 03:16 PM
motorhead426
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: engine died!

I've had my truck since June 2005, and only one time has it stalled out on me. I was off-roading in a field with about 8" of snow. It had a few hills and such. After turning around and stopping, about 30 seconds later it stalled. I had about 1/2 tank in it. It hasn't happended again, so I'm not gonna worry about it. However I have been reading on this forum that this has happened to quite a few people. My only guess is that it has something to with the electronic throttle body. I'm planning on installing a fuel pressure gauge in my gauge pod. Hopefully "if" it ever happens again I'll be able to catch the gauge, and see what it reads. It has to be a sensor issue, because it doesn't run rough before it dies. If it was a fuel issue, then it would run rough at least a little before it stalls.

Old 02-09-2006, 03:33 PM
swgbass

ORIGINAL: motorhead426

I've had my truck since June 2005, and only one time has it stalled out on me. I was off-roading in a field with about 8" of snow. It had a few hills and such. After turning around and stopping, about 30 seconds later it stalled. I had about 1/2 tank in it. It hasn't happended again, so I'm not gonna worry about it. However I have been reading on this forum that this has happened to quite a few people. My only guess is that it has something to with the electronic throttle body. I'm planning on installing a fuel pressure gauge in my gauge pod. Hopefully "if" it ever happens again I'll be able to catch the gauge, and see what it reads. It has to be a sensor issue, because it doesn't run rough before it dies. If it was a fuel issue, then it would run rough at least a little before it stalls.
My thoughts exactly on it possibly being a sensor issue. I say this because again, there is no rough idle, missing, etc., before it dies. For instance, the night before last I was waiting to enter the car wash with the truck in gear and foot on the brake. Time came for me to enter, I hit the gas pedal and realized that the truck wasn't runnning. It's like it just turned off without a sound. The headlights, dash gages and stereo stayed on so it's not electrical. Also, when it has happened when I've been driving down the road, again, no rough idle or anything before it dies. As a matter of fact, if it dies when I'm driving I don't even ever realize that it died until suddenly there is no accelorator, no power steering and no power brakes right in the middle of traffic. This happened at an interesection and I just barely had time to get it restarted and get out of the way before being hit by oncoming traffic.

I've had this truck since new and never had a problem until within the last 3 days. When I called the service department the service manager said that she had never heard of this happening before so she had no clue as to what it could be.

Old 02-09-2006, 03:40 PM
wildneg
Rookie

There is your problem... 'she has never heard of this problem before..'

jk/ ;P

Old 02-10-2006, 04:48 AM
sumncguy
Veteran

I have owned a 03, the 05 seen in the pick and just bought an 06 Mega cab.

In another post I volunteered to gather names and email addresses of all those having problems so that we can collective get together and prompt Chrysler/Dodge to ask whats being done.

I got one reply. The offer stands and I suggest going out to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Find other info at http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/.

Old 02-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Beachesguy

Hey, had my 04 Hemi 1500 (57,000km) die on Saturday. First time it's happened, but I was just minding my own business, cruising along a residential street maybe doing about 35km/hr and then...nothing. Wasn't making a turn or on a grade or anything....hardly was touching the gas. No warning, no stumbling, rough idle, nothing. No dash lights came on and that's the main reason I searched out this forum...never seen that happen before - no power and no dash lights...wierd. Luckily, it wasn't in the middle of an intersection like has happened to others here! I chalked it up to being about -15C and maybe a bit of condensation in the tank...but had a full tank of gas. Truck was warm too. And just had the throttle body cleaned a couple of weeks ago.

Sounds like maybe we have a problem. I've "wondered" about the fly-by-wire deal....especially since the truck doesn't have the IMMEDIATE response all my old vehicles have had...this truck seems to have a small delay between my hitting it and it getting the message - know what I mean? Anyway, just my little observation.

That link that sumncguy gave is interesting....this is what I pulled off of the Office of Defects Investigation....sounds like they're aware of it....doesn't help you much in the middle of an intersection or stuck on a railway track somewhere though....

Make: DODGE
Model: RAM 1500
Type: TRUCK
Year: 9999
NHTSA Action Number: PE05027
Summary:
ON MAY 16, 2005, ODI OPENED PRELIMINARY EVALUATION PE05-027 TO INVESTIGATE COMPLAINTS OF ENGINE STALLING IN MODEL YEAR 2004-05 DODGE DURANGO SUVS AND RAM 1500 SERIES PICKUPS EQUIPPED WITH THE 5.7L V8 ENGINE. INFORMATION PROVIDED BY DAIMLERCHRYSLER DURING PE05-027 INDICATED THAT A LARGE PERCENTAGE OF THE COMPLAINTS ARE RELATED TO AN IDLE UNDERSHOOT CONDITION THAT MAY CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL DURING TURNING MANEUVERS. IN FEBRUARY 2005, DAIMLERCHRYSLER REVISED THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE SOFTWARE IN PRODUCTION VEHICLES AND ISSUED A TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN (TSB 18-013-05) RELEASING THE NEW SOFTWARE AS A SERVICE REMEDY FOR THE IDLE UNDERSHOOT CONDITION. THE BULLETIN WAS SUPERCEDED BY TSB 18-013-05A IN APRIL 2005. DAIMLERCHRYSLER BELIEVES THAT THE FAILURE RATE FOR STALLING WHILE DRIVING DUE TO THE IDLE UNDERSHOOT CONDITION IS LOW AND THAT THE BULLETIN HAS ADEQUATELY ADDRESSED THE PROBLEM. SINCE PE05-027 WAS OPENED, ODI HAS CONTINUED TO RECEIVE COMPLAINTS FROM OWNERS OF THE SUBJECT VEHICLES WHO ALLEGE EXPERIENCING ENGINE STALL INCIDENTS UNDER ALL TYPES OF DRIVING CONDITIONS. IN SOME INSTANCES THE STALLING HAS CONTINUED AFTER THE VEHICLE RECEIVED THE SERVICE BULLETIN REPAIRS. THIS INVESTIGATION HAS BEEN UPGRADED TO AN ENGINEERING ANALYSIS (EA05-018) TO FURTHER ASSESS THE SCOPE, FREQUENCY, AND SAFETY CONSEQUENCES OF THE ALLEGED DEFECT IN DODGE DURANGO AND RAM 1500/2500/3500 SERIES PICKUP TRUCKS.

Old 02-21-2006, 01:45 PM
swgbass

Finally got my Hemi Sport in to the dealership. It took them about 6 hours to diagnose but they've ultimately determined that the "throttlebody" needed to be replaced. Luckily it's fully covered under warranty. Unfortunately, they didn't have any in stock so they've had to order the part. I should have the truck back in a few days. I'll update as to whether this has fixed the problem.

Old 02-21-2006, 04:49 PM
silvernightmare
Veteran

I have an 04 quad cab with hemi and it has only done it once (about 23k on it). Sorry to hear about the problems, hope everything works out for you guys.

Old 02-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Stillborn
Veteran

The only time I've EVER got my truck to stall was when I was doing massive ammounts of donuts a snow, and even then it was because I only had like an 1/8th of a tank of gas, so there's a good chance it just sloshed and the truck had no gas.

Old 02-28-2006, 01:59 PM
Beachesguy

Happened again. Exact same thing....cruising along at about 20 or 30km/hr with my foot barely on the gas, then nothing. Was somewhat cold....only aobut -8 or -9C this morning but was about -12 or -13 overnight. Had the truck in a few days ago because I lost all my power steering fluid...apparently a clamp wasn't "clamping" (gimmee a break). Anyway, mentioned this problem to the service guy...."never heard of the problem". Tell you this, the next time I have it in for service, they're going to be looking at it! If only to make sure my complaint shows up on an invoice long before the warranty runs out. Given the heavy traffic I drive in every day, I DO NOT need to die in the fast lane at a buck-forty or fifty let me tell you.

vehicles.....ugh.....

Old 02-28-2006, 04:05 PM
swgbass

Update! Replacing the "throttle body" seems to have solved the problem. It was very cold all weekend as well as this morning and the truck ran great with no stalling! Thanks for all of the replies regarding my stalling issue!

Quick Reply: engine died!