3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 03:02 PM
irelandshemi
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlights

any ideas on bulbs that will basicly make people flash there lights at me thinking i have my brights on without doing the whole HID conversion or anything like that

Old 05-03-2008, 03:09 PM
mmstar23
Champion
Default RE: headlights

silverstar ultras are pretty bright. some say PIAA's are brighter, but i dont see any difference. but if your looking for BRIGHT you need an HID kit.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:14 PM
irelandshemi
All Star

i was gunna do those projector headlights in the summer buut im looking just for that annoying bright out of a bulb i can use till then

Old 05-03-2008, 03:17 PM
mmstar23
Champion

if you want bright, the projectors are less bright than the OEM headlight. but im looking into putting HIDs behind the projector, but i heard you cant because it will burn the lens of the projector.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:19 PM
irelandshemi
All Star

so you recomment the HID over projector, also, with the HID can i get those blueish white bulbs that give off that blue glow

Old 05-03-2008, 03:38 PM
mmstar23
Champion

ya, mainly because the oem light just reflects the light in a 360 degree circle so it shines brighter down the road. the projector is designed to just shine on the road. if you pull up to a wall you'll see the cutoff where it just stops so it doesnt shine up and blind on coming traffic. i could care less about blinding others, but in a way thats good.

i just talked to a guy who only does headlights and i talked to him about HIDs in the projector. they sell my exact one and he said that you CAN put an hid in the projector and hes heard the myth of it melting but he has yet to see one. he said it will be closer to the lens but the hid uses 35 watts and the halogen is a 55 watt. so the hid is cooler, meaning its less than likely to burn. only problem he said is, is that the socket on the projector where you stick the HID in has to be very minimaly shaved to get the hid bulb to fit in because its too wide. he said its hard though because the amount you need to shave is about the thickness of a fingernail. he also said sue to it being a chrysler you need a resistor because since the watts are lower on the hid the pcm thinks the light is out. so you need a resistor to trick the pcm. he said other than that theres nothing to really worry about.

also depends on how blue or white you want. i want a white with a small tint of blue. he said that would be a 6000k, 8000k is more blue, and 4300k is what you see in the mercedes and other high end cars with projectors from the factory. after hearing that, i would recomend the projector, just look into an HID kit for it if you want bright. i asked him about the cheap $80 kits on ebay and he said theyre fine if you dont mind not having a warranty or anything like that, but they work fine.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:19 PM
irelandshemi
All Star

thankst hat helped alot, yeah i dont want like super blue but just extremely white with a small tint of blue

Old 05-03-2008, 04:26 PM
mmstar23
Champion

then your like me and will want a 6000k. theres a plus to having a lower # as well. ya the higher the more blue, but the lower....well closer to 4300, the brighter it is.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:41 PM
johnsaballer
Rookie

6000k is the way to go, i've chatted with mmstar in a few posts about this exact thing. now the kits that are available for HID's include just single beam(just low beam) then there are the Hi/Low kits which tend to cost a little bit more but not a lot. as for melting projectors, as long as their real projectors aka made out of glass you won't melt them, the HID's are a lower watt aka won't take as much power and no where near as hot as the PIAA's or the stock bulbs. now with the kits i have my fogs used both foglight plugs, my headlights only used one, and split the power so i do get a "light out" message every time and for that reason alone i will be buying a second kit so i have two resistors, and use both outlets...yes i know thats stupid but it bugs me!

my headlights are 6000k Hi/Low and my fogs are 6000k single. both took about 30min to install very easy to do! and looks mean as a **** on the road!

Old 05-03-2008, 04:43 PM
irelandshemi
All Star

alright yeah this helps alot

Quick Reply: headlights