3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

debadging

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 12:01 PM
bpv
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: debadging

Iused Goo Gone and my finger nail for the first hemi badge. It took me almost an hour for the one badge. Goo Gone blows! Don't waste you money. Tried a heat gun too (not a hair dryer). It helped a little if you don't mind getting hot glue stuck to your fingers - not worth the risk to the paint in my opinion.

I ended up using a yellow plastic drywall knife from home depot and some 99% isopropyl alcohol. It took me an hour to do the rest of the badges (HEMI, RAM 1500, RAM 1500, DODGE, 4X4, SLT).

Procedure:
[ol][*]Use fishing line or telephone wire tied to a couple of wall hooks and carefully saw off the badges. Always pull the wire away from the truck so as too not scratch the paint. Some people use dental floss but I found that it kept breaking after only a few strokes.[*]Using a 1" plastic drywall knife attack the left over tape and glue. Its best to work the knife from side to side rolling the tape as you go. As I refined my technique I was able to get most of the glue residue off.[*]Using a blue shop towel rub the left over glue residue until the glue residue is coated with little blue fibers from the blue shop towel.[*]Using a little 99% isopropyl alcohol and a new blue shop towel, rub the glue residue until you no longer see anylittle blue fibers.[*]Repeat steps 3 and 4 until all the glue residue is gone.[*]Finish with your favorite rubbing compound and wax[/ol]
Dont forget to search the forum to other peoples tips and suggestions.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:48 PM
Tincan
Rookie

I was going to debadge my Ram. I took the "Big Horn" emblem off first. The paint looked faded in the sun light. You could really see the outline of the emblem when the sun was shining on the paint. The adhesive discolored the paint. I put the emblem back on and left the rest of the badges alone. I used 4lb monofilament line to remove the badge. It worked really well and most of the adhesive came off as well.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:36 PM
jcramin

I used GOO B GONE and finger nail polish remover. Worked great. Then buffed and waxed.

Quick Reply: debadging