3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

oil filter removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 09:20 PM
maalna2
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: oil filter removal

from the things I have read is if you dont change your filter you might as well not have done the oil change. Because the filter would would not work as good and let things flow through the filter that it normally would filter out.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:33 PM
RamItOne

Haha a filter becomes less effective as it ages due to it gets more sediment and thus limiting the volume of fluid that passes through it. A new filter catches less. Look at a K&N air filter, it needs to be slightly dirty to effectively block dust from coming in.

Yeah I only use the wrench for mayber an 1/8th of an inch in rotation, just because my hands have some oil on em so i dont get a great grip.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:27 AM
mmstar23
Champion

The K&N is also nice because theres a nut on the end so you can just use a regualar wrench

Old 05-11-2008, 11:46 AM
RamItOne

ORIGINAL: xfeejayx

i couldn't get the filter off when i did my oil change a month ago, didn't have a wrench. needed to use the truck right away, so screwdriver was out of the question.

this filter is now doing double duty. it'll probably be okay...i think.

just replace the filter now, that oil doesnt just sit up there waiting to fall out from the filter when the trucks off. theres no issue replacing it with oil already in....

Old 05-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Tractor
Professional

Regardless of what filter you use- do yourself a favor and invest in an industrial filter-mag. You will not believe the metal it will hold inside and keep from recirculating through your engine. I was skeptical too-but not since I cut it open and saw the metal that was stuck to the inside of the filter housing AND the filter media ONLY where the magnet was. The other half of housing and media looked clean as a whisel.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:33 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every time I change my oil, my filter is always stuck. I do use the K & N with the nut, but it justs gets rounded. I just end up muscling mine off everytime. I use rubber gloves to change my oil, so I put on clean pair, tap the top of the filter with a small hammer, and TWIST yelling profanities and words that I haven't used since college!!! LOL!!! It comes off every time.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:18 AM
RamItOne

ORIGINAL: Tractor

Regardless of what filter you use- do yourself a favor and invest in an industrial filter-mag. You will not believe the metal it will hold inside and keep from recirculating through your engine. I was skeptical too-but not since I cut it open and saw the metal that was stuck to the inside of the filter housing AND the filter media ONLY where the magnet was. The other half of housing and media looked clean as a whisel.
Link?

Old 05-12-2008, 01:26 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a band wrench, either metal or rubber. Much more leverage.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:58 PM
mmstar23
Champion

ORIGINAL: L and R Two

Every time I change my oil, my filter is always stuck. I do use the K & N with the nut, but it justs gets rounded. I just end up muscling mine off everytime. I use rubber gloves to change my oil, so I put on clean pair, tap the top of the filter with a small hammer, and TWIST yelling profanities and words that I haven't used since college!!! LOL!!! It comes off every time.
haha ive used that method before...very effective and eficient!

Old 05-12-2008, 03:33 PM
red06RAM
All Star

I got my Filter Mag from www.griotsgarage.com I also cut the filter open after it was used. It made a HUGE mess but I was also surprised with what it picked up.

Quick Reply: oil filter removal