3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

oil filter removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 02:19 PM
maalna2
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil filter removal

For the life of me I can not get either of my filter wrenchs to grip the oil filter so I can remove it. Does anyone have an easy way to remove the filter?? it is an 06 1500 QC hemi

Old 05-10-2008, 03:16 PM
ivaskaj
Veteran
Default RE: oil filter removal

What type of filter wrenches are you using? I have the best luck with the band type, or the socket type. The plier ones are junk. Sometimes the filters can get welded on really good. There were several times at the quick lube joint where I had to pound a screwderver thru the filter body and beat it off with a mallet to get enough leverage. Hope this helps.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:44 PM
RamItOne

Uh if its the wrong filter wrench just go to an auto store and buy the right one.
The straps are good cause they work on several sizes.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:49 PM
maalna2
Rookie

I got the socket type but for some reason it would start slipping when I would apply pressure even though it was a tight fit. So I went and bought thewrench thatlooks likea Pand at first it was slipping also. I was behind the passegner wheel at first and I am guessing that it was just the angel that I was at. So after I posted this I got a bright idea to try to go at it from the front of the truck. Boy that made the world of difference way more room to work with up there and a wide open view of the filter. Now I guess my question is does it matter how tight you put the filter on I at first had it super tight but then I backed it off just a little bit.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:26 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put a coat of oil on the new filter's rubber gasket, turn it till its snug by hand, then turn it another 1/8th of a turn.

It'll come off much easier next time.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:46 PM
swhitset

I have been changing oil in every vehicle I have owned for the last twenty years. I have always hand tightened the filter. I never use a wrench to tighten and consequently rarely need a wrench for subsequent removals. Never had a leak at the filter.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:48 PM
RamItOne

Just a question since you were coming at it from behind (insert that's what she said) you didnt screw up the lefty loooooseee righty tighty thing now did ya.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:54 PM
maalna2
Rookie

No whenI wasbehind the tire I just could not get the wrench to get ahold of it. I tried both turning it both ways just to make sure. This is my first oil change since I bought the truck. I am using Mobil 1 5W-20 and a Napa Gold filter (which is made by Wix). I am going to try this out for a bit and then switch to Amsoil and see if there is a difference or not.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:11 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

I had the same prob in my truck...the factory puts the filters on wayy too tight. I was going to do the screwdriver trick but if it didn't work i'd have to have the truck towed. I just brought it to the dealer I bought it from and told them to remove the POS filter.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:07 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

i couldn't get the filter off when i did my oil change a month ago, didn't have a wrench. needed to use the truck right away, so screwdriver was out of the question.

this filter is now doing double duty. it'll probably be okay...i think.

Quick Reply: oil filter removal