3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 02:53 PM
RamMan25
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another exhaust question

I know all of you are getting ready to say "use the search tool", I have and it has not answered my question. I simply want to know is it ok to run straight pipes on a 08 dodge ram 4x4 hemi. Will there be enough back pressure, and if not is it still ok to run straight pipes, will it hurt the motor. Simple yes its ok, or no its not ok will be fine. If you are running straight pipes let me know how you like them and what performance hits did it do.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:48 PM
RedneckDodge86
Professional
Default RE: Another exhaust question

I have mine with a flowmaster muffler. i love it. When the MDS kicks in and shifts down then it sputters a little, but its got a nice rumble to it is loud when accelerating. Hope that helps

Old 05-12-2008, 05:00 PM
RamMan25
Rookie

Thanks for the input, sounds like your setup is not straight pipes though if you have a muffler. Is anyone running true straight pipes?

Old 05-12-2008, 05:39 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've never really trusted straight pipes on these modern engines. I've got no solid proof of it being bad, but have seen a few with true duals have problems, none that you could point at the exhaust per say, but still, I have my doubts.
I've been doing my own exhausts since I was a kid, like 15 and I'm 41 now. My father owned part of an Awning/Canopy shop when I was a kid (hence, I've been welding since I was like eleven) and my uncle recently retired after 38 years a Chrysler mechanic at three different dealerships. Based on what they always told me, I've always used an "H" or "Y" or "X" at some point in any exhaust I've ever done...

Although I really like my current setup where I kept the cats with LT Headers, my personal favorite was one of the first exhausts I ever did. A '73 Nova SS with headers that was dual all the way back to a simple "H" pipe just before each side went into it's own Cherry Bomb. I dated a girl when I had that car whose parents made me park at a firehouse about five hundred yards up the street when I came to pick her up and drop her off at night.[8D]

Old 05-12-2008, 06:23 PM
ivaskaj
Veteran

If you like your truck to sound like ****, and don't mind a drop in mileage, there is no real harm. Otherwise, go with a muffler of some sort.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:06 AM
RamMan25
Rookie

Is anybody running straight pipes? Will this make the check engine light come on?

Old 05-13-2008, 08:18 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

ORIGINAL: RamMan25

Is anybody running straight pipes? Will this make the check engine light come on?
No Cats = CEL, unless you get the simulators or do the non-fouler trick...

Old 05-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are looking for a LOUD exhaust sound, just get a Cherrybomb extreme muffler. They will sound better that a strait pipe and give you the Azz Kickin sound you are looking for.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:54 AM
RamMan25
Rookie

With leaving the CAT's, will that be enough back pressure, would I be ok with cat back straight pipes? Does anybody have a sound byte of a cherrybomb extreme muffler?

Old 05-13-2008, 10:04 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

ORIGINAL: RamMan25

With leaving the CAT's, will that be enough back pressure, would I be ok with cat back straight pipes? Does anybody have a sound byte of a cherrybomb extreme muffler?
That's why I kept my cats, you want just a bit of backpressure on a truck, that's where the torque comes from under about 1500 rpm's. It was a bit of a pain with the headers because I had to move them back about 18".
You can hear a sound clip of any Cherry Bomb on their website...

Quick Reply: Another exhaust question