3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

"COST OF A GOOD PAINT JOB"

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 07:45 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: "COST OF A GOOD PAINT JOB"

ORIGINAL: RedneckDodge86

I'm trying to get a price quote to paint my entire truck Hemi Orange. I think it will look good but we will have to see
Like this:

Name:  hemiorange.jpg
Views: 4738
Size:  79.7 KB

A case of Krylon goes a long way...

Old 05-12-2008, 08:12 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Did I hear orange?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2131095

Old 05-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Bill_99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maaco is ok if you pay for thier best system... Signature I think,but you will spendalmost as much as at a body shop. You can cut some of the cost by doing the prep work yourself (and you will want to as most of thier bad reviews are because they do shoddy if any prep work). And it does turn out ok if you get behind the cab, door hinges, under the hood, etc..... They wanted like $3,500.
You can shop around and get a good single color paint job at a body shop for ~$4,000. Most of your cost and quality really boil down to prep work. Prep work can make or break a paint job and by doing as much of it as you can you will cut the prices waaaaay down. If the do all the prepping you can expect the price to double or tripple.
I have been asking around myself so...... good luck

Old 05-12-2008, 08:19 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

don't go to maaco.

i'm not even gonna say how bad they are (at least the one here)...but, since you're making a thread inquiring other people's thoughts about a "professional paint job"...maaco should be the last thing in your mind. if you want door jambs and stuff painted, they aren't the place to go. the best shop i know is actually a corvette shop, but they'll paint anything of course. they are the one's that did our camaro many years back. at maaco, they aren't gonna remove the casing on the wiring harness between your door, remove the pin that locks your door, remove the weather stripping or any of that...they'll just put masking over it, and start spraying.

i'd only use maaco if, let's say if i needed somethign fixed on a car that isn't my baby.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:05 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like Maaco is a place i might want to stay away from....I just hate driving such a nice truck with paint that's starting to fade.....Believe me when i tell you, it gets waxed at least twice a year, and is washed whenever it gets dirty....So i can't understand why the paint would start to fade only after 6 years.........

A pal of mine told me to check around because he remembered reading something about a bad primer being used, when painting the vehicles...He said it wasn't a "Recall" because it wasn't a safety issue...

Old 05-12-2008, 11:27 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

^^ yea. by the sounds of it, YOU'D wanna stay away from maaco. all my maaco de-reccomendation comes from me thinking you want somethign really high quality. if you can settle for less, then go w/ them. but, i don't think you should.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:28 AM
Bill_99

Personally, I would stay away from Maaco unless you are willing to do every bit of prep work yourself. As I said, they suck at prep.
Try going to a local stealership and asking one of the guys in the garage where they get thier touchup paint done. You might get lucky......

Quick Reply: "COST OF A GOOD PAINT JOB"