3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

performance mods..... best one?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 12:15 PM
jkerns0824
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: performance mods..... best one?????

off topic but nice beach pic. on topic i'm going to throw a matching set of borla headers and exhuast on. then chips

Old 05-13-2008, 12:34 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

ORIGINAL: ramracing4.7ltr

looks like gears is one of better ones for the dodge ram eh? good to know....
it has nothing to do with dodge. the gears are mechnically and physically gonna produce more torque. it's like riding your bicycle around in a gear that lets you go fast, but it's hard to pedal, to a higher gear where you are pedalling really fast and have all the power in the world, but not a huge top speed. 410's or 456's are a good meeting point.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:21 PM
ramracing4.7ltr
Veteran

sorry i meant trucks......but first off im trying to find these damn gears ......i know there forum after forum about these gears this and gears that ...hands down 4:10 or 4:56 for racing , and where do you find them , buy them?? parts cost? parts and labor est. ??

Old 05-13-2008, 03:37 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Best places I've found to purchase is Moe's Performance, Air Ram, Randy's Ring & Pinion or 4 Wheel Parts.

An added benefit of 4 Wheel Parts is that they have many locations nationwide and do the installs. If there is not one near you, then finda 4x4 or a performance shop, one that has experience installing gears. This is not a project for you to try yourself or to trust to "Joe-Bob's Garage" on the local street corner...

Old 05-13-2008, 04:44 PM
ramracing4.7ltr
Veteran

ahh i see lol ....... which of the 2 types of gears would be better for more racing style ? and actually i think that there is a 4 wheel parts up the street which is excellent!

Old 05-13-2008, 05:08 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Although I am not the "racer" type, every truck I have ever had has been a 4x4 which I have lifted, I would say the 4.56s would allow you to be faster off the line, as you achieve greater rpm's faster.
I know my "launch" is dramatically better since going to the 4.56 gears.
I'm assuming you are a 4x2, so you only need to do the rear gears, a great mod to go with those gears would be an Auburn LSD, you'll find by adding this outstanding mod with the gears that you will have no problem locking up both tires at launch. Also available at 4 Wheel Parts and they did not charge me to install it as they were in there doing the gears anyway...

Old 05-13-2008, 07:29 PM
ramracing4.7ltr
Veteran

excellent....nope im 4x 4 as well , would that mean both rear and front need to be changed?,they love to sell the 4 x 4 sover here in colorado because of the nasty winters! sorry so many questions, i love this website , but auburn lsd, please explain, i need to get as much schooling as possible. thanks for the other info.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:53 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Yea, then as I did, you'll need to re-gear the front and rear diffs.

Here is a link to so you can read up on the Auburn Gear LSD, another popular aftermarket LSD is the Detroit TruTrac.

http://www.4wheelonline.com/Categori...CategoryId=226

Another thing, if you have a 4 Wheel Parts close by and you choose them, they do great work, but don't accept their first quote. Shop them, they will price match! I got them down almost $400 two and a half years ago when I had my gears and LSD done by them in Orlando. I also recommended another forum user do the same and he got them down about the same amount. Do your homework, and do as I did, tell them you'll buy the LSD from them at the same time if they throw in the install. Learn your **** first, almost any sales rep/mgr will try to make what he can off you if he thinks you are naive and will pay it...

Old 05-13-2008, 09:25 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: xfeejayx

if you have stock 3.92 rear end, and go to 4.56, you just increased the torque at the wheels by about 16%. Granted it's kind of cheating, and you'll run through the gears faster at the expense of top end, but its going to feel like another 60 ft-lbs of torque!! (until you hit about 70 anyway ). i'd imagine that'd be on anyone's short list (that can afford them)
I think you worded that wrong . The power will be the same at the wheels but you'll accelerate faster because ofthe gear ratios...you'll have more rotations of the wheels for everyrotation of the input shaft/pinion gear. If i'm wrong then let me know but i've never heard of torque multiplication from rear gears.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:51 PM
ramracing4.7ltr
Veteran

thanks for the link hammer , looks like its def a good part to get with the gears. but $1400 dollars is a big project, lol its all about talking to the wife about it for me. she does not like dodge ram projects or parts and swears i love it more than her sometimes lol ..but $1500 for everything ?? sounds like a good deal ill have to see about my wheeling deelin skills!

Quick Reply: performance mods..... best one?????