3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 04:54 PM
dreman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: driveshaft

ORIGINAL: mmstar23

ya like i said im gonna hope for the best and go from there. if that **** breaks....i feel bad for traffic passing by. im gonnathrow that **** ill probally be so pissed hah. but like i said, hopefully that wont happen.

now that i think about it.....this may be a stupid question, but i dont know. does the speed of the driveshaft depend on the speed of the vehicle or the amount of RPM's?
The speed of the driveshaft is directly dependent on the speed of the vehicle. The engine speed varies in relation to the speed of the driveshaft since the transmission and clutch/torque convertor are in between the engine and driveshaft.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:24 PM
M15
Veteran

So 35+ inch tires and 456 gears should be ok since the driveshaft wont be spinning as fast as they would be on smaller stock tires at a given speed.Right? Oh and I checked my dads 03 2wd 2500HD and its aluminum,Then I checked my friends 07 2wd 1500 RCSB Hemi and its steel. So it looks like the RCSB 15002wd and the 4x4 trucks have steel while the rest have aluminum?

Old 05-21-2008, 08:27 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

my QCSB hemi has a steel one

Old 05-21-2008, 09:14 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Claw

ORIGINAL: hemiyellow

ORIGINAL: Mystro

I know all the RAMHD 2500/3500 use a steel driveshaft.
not true..we have a 2500 HD CTD that has an aluminum shaft
What about the Power Wagons? Steel or aluminum?
not sure, you'd have to ask someone that has a PW...we don't have a PW in our fleet anymore

Old 05-21-2008, 10:15 PM
daytona1680
Veteran

if your worried about the drive shaft breaking and tearing things up then just buy a drive shaft loop or make one yourself

Old 05-21-2008, 10:16 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

not sure, you'd have to ask someone that has a PW...we don't have a PW in our fleet anymore
claw has a power wagon. take you less than 10 seconds to check. go see if it's covered with rust.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

The first thing you have to do is research. Make sure you know the correct driveline angle. Most of the failures i have read about on here are either lowered or lifted trucks. If the drive line angle is incorrect, this will lead to drive shaft failure. This is for suspension lifts, body lift does not effect the drive line angle. Steel shafts are readily available and legnth is not a factor. Some quad cabs come with them already, so picking one up through MOPAR should not be a problem. A good drive shaft loop is a good investment, better safe than sorry.
http://moesperformance.com/index.php...88b2980fb6510e

I was anticipating failure and had a steel shaft made for mine last year, but have not needed it to this point and I am well over 400 hp. I run 4.56 gears, A 2800 rpm stall converter and a healthy shot of nitrous oxide and have not had a drive line failure as of yet, so I would just rock on with the aluminum and worry about getting the drive line angles correct!

Old 05-22-2008, 12:43 PM
mmstar23
Champion

i only havea body lift, and a leveling kit which i dont believe affects the driveshaft, but i do have a 1" block on my leafsprings...will this affect the driveline angle? if so how do i fix it rather than taking off the lift(which im not doing)

Old 05-22-2008, 01:27 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

Take an angle meter and attatch it to the drive shaft of a stock truck, then do the same to yours, this will give you the drive line angle differential in degrees. Any off road shop should offer shims, they look like little wedges of cheese and bolt between the axle housing and springs. This will adjust the pinion angle back to stock. Taller tires will effect the angle also, so do this after installing taller tires as well.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Claw
Rookie

ORIGINAL: xfeejayx

claw has a power wagon. take you less than 10 seconds to check. go see if it's covered with rust.
Yeah, I was out of town and without my PW when I posted. Ithought someonewho might knowwould post upto satisfy my curiosity more quickly. Now I'm back, and if anyone cares, my PW has an aluminum rear driveshaft. The front oneis steel. So there ya go.

Quick Reply: driveshaft