3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Airram CAI!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 10:06 PM
ssgdick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airram CAI!!!

Thought I would post something about this CAI. I recently bought the spectra CAIand the Jet Stream Scoopfor my 06 SLT QC Hemi. Well, I purchased this one because it was cheap. I guess you get what you pay for. The mounting part of the actual pipe that mounts to the fender is real cheap. To start with I had problems with the little cushion bolt, and now the whole fork bracket snapped off of the pipe. I mean does my truck really have so much torque that this should break. I Do Not Think So.
I really like the sound and look of this CAI, but that d$%# mounting fork on the pipe is really made cheaply. I am thinking about calling and seeing if there is anykind of warrenty, but I doubt there is . So, if anyone out there is thinking of getting this CAI, you may want to think twice.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:19 PM
kniner
Professional
Default RE: Airram CAI!!!

Do you have any pics of the Spectra CIA?

Old 05-19-2008, 11:04 PM
goatchoker

I had the same problem the rubber mount broke I called spectra sent me a new mount. I finally figured out the problem if you do not use the spacer it throws everything off went to home depo bought a longer rubber coupler. problem solved love the intake!hope this helps.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:19 PM
ssgdick

Thanks for the post. I will call spectra tomorrow. I really like the intake as well, but I am a little pissed that it broke so easily. Well, I will call and then change the rubber part as well. Once again, thank you.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:38 AM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Of course there is a warranty. I'm sorry you are having issues with your intake, It appears that this is becoming a common issue with the SPECTRE intake. I have recently installed one and have been able to come up with a few "TRICKS" and advice that may help eliminate the rubber mount issues which I have to agree that the design was not well thought out.

I don't believe its the lack of spacer that causes it though. Its the fact that the engine torques to the passengers side and that mount is literally SOLID. The intake has no place to go and causes the mount to brake.

If you cant get SPECTRA to take care of you, please contact me so I can.

One trick to help the intake "MOVE" is on the throttle body clamp. Only slide the clamp over the tube far enough to clamp it... This should leave approximately 1" space between the tube and the throttle body... this area will allow some FLEX in the system.

Use 3 washers between the rubber mount and the body. This should extend the mount about 1/4" which will also take off some stress thats placed on the mount.

Both these tricks will also make it easier to install.

We also have the AIR RAM STYLE mounting brackets available which allow for engine torque.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 05-20-2008, 06:47 AM
ssgdick

AIR RAM,
I really appreciate you writing and giving me those tips. I am calling spectre today and hopefully they can help me out. If not I will let you know. It kind of sucks, because I really like the look and the sound that I get from the CAI, but I agree with you on the mounting bracket. It just could have been designed better. Once again, I really appreciate your concern, it shows that there are still some people out there that will always try to make things right.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:42 PM
AIR RAM
All Star

Please keep me posted.

SPEED SAFE, NICK
817 800 7760

Old 05-20-2008, 09:45 PM
ssgdick

I got a hold of spectre today and they told me that they knew about the flaw in the design and are in the works of fixing it. They are going to send me a whole new tube once the new design is out. They were actually very nice and want to make it right.

AIR RAM, once again I want to send you my thanks foryour concern.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:34 AM
86blackt

Great customer service!!

Old 05-21-2008, 02:01 PM
AIR RAM
All Star

Yeah I was speaking to KELLY today on your behalf, she had mentioned the conversation and put a note in our file to contact you when they "REVISE" the design. She did say that you could hang it with ZIP ties from the sheild... which honestly would be a better design then they currently have now. If you do that, allow it to "SWING" with torque and dont try to make it TIGHT where it cant move under torque.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
817 800 7760

Quick Reply: Airram CAI!!!