3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

whats a power wire?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 06:22 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default whats a power wire?

i know this my sound really bad but, i'm a noob when it comes to all of this electronic mods you can do.this is my first newer truck (the newest before this one was a '96 ranger).and i see all of this talk about a power wire.what is it?.and what does it do to your truck exactially?i'd like to see if this would be something i'd like to do to mine if it helps.thanks

Old 05-25-2008, 11:08 PM
ivaskaj
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: whats a power wire?

A wire that delivers power to something. An amp, fog lights, etc... You need an accessory before you need one, unless you just want a wire to nowhere.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:17 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A power wire is simply a 4.7 kohm resistor inline with the intake air temp sensor. You can do it yourself for less than $2, or pay whatever they're going for on ebay for a plug & play wire with the resistor & correct plugs on it. Either way the computer thinks the intake air is 20 degrees cooler than it actually is. You get more timing & fuel sprayed. The oxygen sensors correct for the extra fuel and you're left with just extra timing which is what you wanted in the first place.

I crimped the resistor in place and taped it all back up. It's a mod I'll never undo and the price was right.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:19 PM
claydawg
Rookie

Here's the description and a link to the site:

Description:
PLUG & PLAY 8-10RWHP in less than 60 seconds. The POWER WIRE will be the quickest and easiest mod you have ever installed. Reports of .5 to 1 MPG have been reported under easy driving conditions.

Details:
The POWER WIRE will fit:

* Fits all 2000-UP 3.7L, 4.7L, 5.7L & 5.9L engines
* Works with ANY/ALL stock or aftermarket induction system
* May also fit many other 2000 to present Dodge vehicles

*NEW* The =POWER=WIRE=> Now installs on these new vehicles:

* 2005 Dodge Magnum RT
* 2006 Dodge Charger 3.5L V6
* Add reliable 8-10RWHP to your new Dodge in little as 1-2 minutes of your time!
* We will only list them as we learn if they fit or not... If you purchase the Power Wire for your Magnum or Charger or ANY Dodge product and it does NOT fit send it back for a full refund. Im betting the PW will fit all MAGNUM and CHARGERS.

The =POWER=WIRE=> Is a PLUG & PLAY mod that will give you 8-10HP with less than 1 minute to install. Advancing the timing for increased HP is an old trick that has been used for many years. With the newer computer controlled vehicles there are no distributors to adjust, so to gain additional timing advance we need to alter the signal from the air temperature sensor for the desired advance. Your PCM uses the Air Temperature sensors to help control timing and Air/Fuel ratio.

Your O2 sensors keep your Air Fuel ratio nailed to 14.75:1 at all throttle positions except Wide Open Throttle (WOT) so the POWER WIRE can NOT cause you to run rich during normal driving because no matter what the AFR will be 14.75:1. For this reason The Power Wire has been reported to add 1-2MPG increase when driven lightly. But at WOT the Power Wire will add approximately 2.5% at WOT. When your at WOT you are more concerned with HP than MPG at that moment in time and while passing an additional 8-10RWHP is exactly what your looking for.

The POWER WIRE should not be confused with the "E-bay Mystery Mods" that just claim to give you HP without any explanation as to how that particular mod works... But we try to equip you with the information you need to make the best decision for your performance quest.
When installed the POWER WIRE alters the signal to your PCM making it think the intake air temperature is 20 degrees cooler than the actual temperature at "ALL TIMES". This timing advance is worth approximately 8-10RWHP

The POWER WIRE has been reported to richen the AFR by one full point at WOT, this is good if you have long tube headers and other mods that tend to lean out your AFR at WOT. Installing the POWER WIRE can help cure this lean condition.

On our G-Tech Pro Comp meter it showed a 10HP increase on a 2003 4.7L.

If you need to take it in for service, it takes just 10 seconds to return it back to stock with no evidence of this mod ever being installed!

This is a "PLUG & PLAY" MOD... We have done all the work for you! Gain 8-10HP and 1-2MPG in less than 1 minute, no wires to cut, no tools needed, will not harm your PCM!!! What more could you ask for?

http://airram.com/product.php?catego...6&productid=21

Old 05-26-2008, 12:18 AM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thank you

Old 05-27-2008, 01:11 PM
talon6
Record Breaker

will this mod make any difference if you have a programmer installed?

Old 05-27-2008, 02:11 PM
RedneckDodge86
Professional

Im just install a new thermo...i dont believe in those power wires

Old 05-27-2008, 09:04 PM
John M
Record Breaker

Running your coolant 10 degrees cooler doesn't have nearly the effect of the power wire mod. There's nothing really to "believe in" here; it simply tricks the computer into advancing the timing. More timing (without knock) equals more power.

Note that some ebay kits replace the temp sensor with a resistor. You do not want this. You want an inline resistor that just lowers the observed temp by ~ 20 degrees.

Yes, it's still beneficial when done in conjunction with a programmer. I run premium gas (93) to be safe -- not that it matters at $4+ a gallon anyway.

Would I pay $50? Hell no! I'll gladly take the same mod for $2 and I don't care that it isn't plug & play because I never plan to unplug it.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:22 AM
talon6
Record Breaker

thanks john m. will be looking into it soon. could be next mod.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Desert_Ram
Veteran

does anybody have a diy on how they made there own power wire? ive looked cant find anything! thanks>

Quick Reply: whats a power wire?